Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Containers  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Containers
« on: August 26, 2005, 11:42:43 am »
I bought several cases of quart utility jars, similar to mayonaisse jars, that hold 32 fluid ounces of liquid.  (Due to an error, they also shipped me 10 cases of 16 ounce jars, which they later told me to keep rather than shipping them back.)  Now, when I look at various honey sales sites, they say that a 32 oz. jar will hold 3 pounds of honey, and a 16 oz. jar holds 1 1/2 pounds.  But when I fill my large jars, they only hold a little more than 2.75 pounds.  Wanting to make sure I was correct, I went to a USDA site, which told me that honey has a specific gravity of 1.42.  When I do the math, 32 ounces should weigh about 2.8 pounds.  So apparently, my weights are right.

Has anyone ever questioned why 32 oz. jars are marketed as 3 lbs., when they're not?  Is this an "accepted industry standard," like 2X4 boards that aren't 2"X4"?  How does everybody else label and market their honey?  I'm concerned about running afoul of Weights & Measures regulations.

By the way, I found out that our local dollar store sells crappy applesauce in 25 oz. jars with gold metal lids for 50 cents apiece.  The labels come off easily and when filled, they hold 2 pounds of honey.  They sometimes wonder why I'm buying dozens of jars at a time!

-- Kris

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Containers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 12:11:42 pm »
I believe it is just an accepted practice.  Honey is roughly 12 lbs per gallon.    Water content would impact the numbers too.  Don't deceive your customers.  Just label as pints or quarts.  The great part of bottling and selling your own honey is that it ISNT rocket science.  It's the real thing, local, unheated, lightly filtered, and delicious.  The kids will get a .25 lbs of honey on the table cloth before the jar is empty anyways.  bahahahahahaha

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Containers
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 12:17:23 am »
>Just label as pints or quarts

This is what I've always done, but apparently in some states its not legal.  maybe its not in all of them but only enforced in some places.  For some reason you have to put the weight on in some locations.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Containers
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 09:14:04 am »
I believe in Massachusetts you have to label the ounces by weight.  So 1lb (16oz), Not 16 liquid ounces

manowar422

Containers
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 05:51:09 pm »
Found this link to NJ dept. of agriculture.
http://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/
Don't know if this will be a help or not :?

anything