Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 lbs per gal or 16lbs per gal for dearth?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
8 lbs per gal or 16lbs per gal for dearth?
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:31:47 pm »
Hey folks, Did a few splits lately ( within the last month) and caught a wild swarm about 2 months ago. We have a terrible dearth going on here. Bees are collecting some pollen but are mostly just hauling water and I feel I better feed the splits and possibly the feral hive also. To carry them to fall flow should I use the 1x1 (8 lbs per gal)or 2x1 mix (16 lbs per gal)yals suggestions please. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: 8 lbs per gal or 16lbs per gal for dearth?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »
1:1 for building...2:1 for storage.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:39:24 pm »
Ditto

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »
1:1 for building...2:1 for storage.
Scott

Ditto

Have you guys done any direct comparisons of different concentrations of sugar?  I use 3:2 year round.  They build just fine with it in the spring and store it just fine in the fall.

I guess it makes sense that higher concentrations work better for storage since 2:1 is closer to the final product of capped stores at 18% water content.  But why is 1:1 better for drawing comb.  The bees are eating the sugar and making wax.  Do bees have to dilute 2:1 or 3:2 in order to eat it?

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:23 pm »
We get hung up on the ratio's-- do they?
John 3:16

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:52 pm »
This is all on fully drawn HSC frames. So what your saying is I never have to use 1x1? Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline John Pfaff

• House Bee
    • HughesNet
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:13:41 am »
Have you extracted from the HSC?

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:56:00 am »
No John, I've never extracted HSC I just use it for the brood boxes. Brad

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »
1:1 simulates a nectar flow and fools the bees into thinking they need more comb for storage. 2:1 doesn't need to be dried as much and this helps keep excess moisture out of the hive during winter.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »
1:1 simulates a nectar flow and fools the bees into thinking they need more comb for storage.
Scott

I know that's the theory, but have you ever done a side by side test to see if 1:1 actually stimulates comb building better than 2:1?  I'm asking because I use 3:2 and they are certainly stimulated to draw comb.

I suspect that other issues contribute to the decision to build comb.  If there is pollen coming in with the syrup, the bees may decide to build brood comb.  In the spring that may be a bigger factor than syrup.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »
I'm sure any mix will stimulate comb building...1:1 (or even less) is the cheaper way to go.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything