Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ventrilo ??  (Read 10463 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Ventrilo ??
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 10:00:55 am »
Good to talk with you last night, Mek, after my sister woke me up   :-x

I don't know where Bud would have got to.  Maybe he was working out which door knob to turn to get into the room where the ventrilo is   :lol:
You have to be early to catch Geoff, too, because he has to get up early to admire his lemon scented pink flowering gums.
Shane would have been rocking his stingless bees and singing them lullabies, and Kathy - did you forget to set the alarm for 2 am again??!
Jim is slippery as an eel so you are lucky to have held him down as long as you did.

Well it's the weekend Mek, so I hope you get to finish your traps.  We are looking forward to your first sting bee stories.

Lone

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 10:56:23 am »
Good to talk with you last night, Mek, after my sister woke me up   :-x

I don't know where Bud would have got to.  Maybe he was working out which door knob to turn to get into the room where the ventrilo is   :lol:
You have to be early to catch Geoff, too, because he has to get up early to admire his lemon scented pink flowering gums.
Shane would have been rocking his stingless bees and singing them lullabies, and Kathy - did you forget to set the alarm for 2 am again??!
Jim is slippery as an eel so you are lucky to have held him down as long as you did.

Well it's the weekend Mek, so I hope you get to finish your traps.  We are looking forward to your first sting bee stories.

Lone

:lau:   :lau:   :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Mek

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 12:31:15 am »
Nope Lone,

Got busy again on the weekend...
Made a honey fruit cake for The Gold Coast Amateur Beekeeping society and some uncooked honey short bread biscuits.  
Then Sunday went to the field day.
What did I learn?

Have a water container so you can wash your hands
you can use whiteout to mark your ueens but it has to be the fine tipped pen
You want to plane your frames to 33mm thick so its easier to fit in the tenth frame and you conform to standardised box sizes
That older ueens are darker in colour
Pollen comes in different colours
put ueen aside when you are managing your frames then release her via the hive entrance once the hive is closed so you dont accidentally suish her.
If you put brood in the super mark the frame and check in 6-7 days for ueen cells
Paint thinner is great to clean your tools with
Honey frames to the outside of the brood or in super
Bee suits are cool
if the bees sting people they kinda home in on the same spot.
Put supers back on at a 45 degree angle and then slide over.
In summer if your bees area bearding cos of the heat open up the lid slightly... and the bees should go back in. once they properlise the hole then remove the gap. The guy I spoke with, Allan, mentioned this helps prevents SHB because the bees are over the frames rather than the outside.

I didnt get stung btw Lone.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:01:54 am by Mek »

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 11:29:37 am »
Mek,
The bee club travelled the couple of hours to get to my place for the beekeepers 'meeting of the century' last weekend for a change.  But even if I could cook I didn't have time after playing for the bushdance the night before and getting home after 1am.  But I did take them to the drive-in and we saw both a terrible and a really good movie for 6 bucks and had a hot meal there.  I love the bee club. I've been going most of the year, even though it is usually a hike to get there.

Have a water container so you can wash your hands
It's honey so lick em.  Think of all the effort the bees went to making it and you want to wash it away??
you can use whiteout to mark your ueens but it has to be the fine tipped pen
Whiteout turns to water in the heat here.  Your queen might start dripping.
You want to plane your frames to 33mm thick so its easier to fit in the tenth frame and you conform to standardised box sizes
If I were you I'd get someone else to do the planing and I'd sit back in the shade sipping on sarsparilla and watch them.  Actually I wouldn't be planing. 
That older ueens are darker in colour
That's only because you can never find those young dark queens.
Pollen comes in different colours
I've been getting some white pollen.  Maybe the ghost gums are out.
put ueen aside when you are managing your frames then release her via the hive entrance once the hive is closed so you dont accidentally suish her.
You actually found a queen??  wow.
If you put brood in the super mark the frame and check in 6-7 days for ueen cells
Or else leave for 6 months and if bees are flying in you either got a queen or they are robbing your deadout.
Paint thinner is great to clean your tools with
It's great to clean your boxes with too for that natural look.
Honey frames to the outside of the brood or in super
Or better still in honey pot on kitchen table.
Bee suits are cool
Sure, the Queensland beesuit of singlets, shorts and thongs is pretty cool. And sunnies for face protection.
if the bees sting people they kinda home in on the same spot.
Nah, I got a southern cross on me belly the other day and an orion on my left leg.  None of them hit a bullseye on top of another sting.
Put supers back on at a 45 degree angle and then slide over.
I definitely prefer 43.5 degrees.
In summer if your bees area bearding cos of the heat open up the lid slightly... and the bees should go back in. once they properlise the hole then remove the gap. The guy I spoke with, Allan, mentioned this helps prevents SHB because the bees are over the frames rather than the outside.
I'd be shaving my bees if they grow beards. Anyway, I hope Allan don't get a tropical monsoon inside his hives.

You forgot one thing you learnt, Mek: put two beekeepers together and you get 20 different ways of doing the same thing!
Sorry you didn't get a sting.  I hope you do better next time.
Hey another half a sleep till ventrilo time!

Lone

anything