Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap-Out I have no clue if its working.  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Trap-Out I have no clue if its working.
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:29:13 am »
Tell me what you think I have only tried one trapout in the past and it failed.

Heres a video of one I set up yesterday.
Trap out in Greenwood, MS

I know its late but I need some queens for fall splits and we are about 2 days from the golden rod flow or that is what my goldenrod looks like. And the lady really wants these bees gone and I have been working on it for weeks I already posted one video of this hive.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Trap-Out I have no clue if its working.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:13 pm »
Sorry, Haddon, but I think you have your second failure. They have either found other ways in, or the neighborhood gang is robbing it out.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
what should it look like

This is the first day and not much to rob really if they are robbing they should have been done in 15 minutes.

Offline kbee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:57:19 pm »
hey Haddon why don't you just do a cut out if the lady wants them gone.  looks like a nice easy one. doing a trap out isn't going to get all the bees out and you can't get the cone out so if by any chance you do get all the bees out the cone will still be there and it's just going to bring in more bees or a big sloppy smelly mess. go for it and do a cut out.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26:54 pm »
There seems to me to be too many bees in the air. What did you put in the bait hive. If nothing, they have no reason to go in. If a frame of honey, pollen, and/or brood, they could be robbing it.

First look, I thought the black gobs at the corner of the window was a pile of bees, but I guess it must not be.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »
The hive is what little I was able to cutout and have left in there for 3 weeks at my house not much little pollen and nector and I add a half frame of eggs and really young larva so the bait hive already had a few bees maybe enough to cover one frame or half a frame.
Sad thing is they had made their own queen so I had gotten the genes off that hive but she never came back after her matting flight. I know I looked and looked hard multi times.

Hive is between the brick and black board this is the
 .where are the bees ??
Part 2 Thread

Oh Iddee this is a really strong hive tons of forage workers I thought it was a small number of bees flying around. I will go back tomorrow and check it out again if they have a new enterance I would think I will see a steady flow of bees in and out by then.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »
OK. Now that I have read the other thread, I will wait until your next report. As you say, things may settle down in a day or two.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:04:09 am »
I went over yesterday evening I found one little whole where they could get in the wall I don't think they could get into the hive space but they could make it into the wall. There was just a small little cluster of bees and no fanning or orienting to the spot. It was next to the window frame its self so most likely they could get into the interior of the wall but not the pace between the brick and black board.

Well I didn't know if it was working so I decided to take down the box and see what was inside. Well it slipped and the whole box fell 8 or 9 foot smacking the ground. I have to say there were bees in that box enough to cluster hanging a little off the cone but as soon as I got the box back up there they made a straight march right back into the hive box.

I had all except me dropping the box on video but my smart phone ate the footage first it deleted the march so I just upload the rest to youtube went to post it here and youtube said it couldn't convert the file.
I will try and salvage the video some how but for right now my description is all I have of the events.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:29:28 pm by Haddon »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:23 pm »
With the hole now stopped, I will still hold judgement until the next report. I doubt the bees would gather on an entrance to an empty area. They most likely could get back to the nest.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:23 pm »
There was about 10 on that hole and no traffic I would have thought I would have seen traffic either coming or going if they were useing it but any way I can tell you the number of bees in that box is at least 5 times what I had brought with the box. So it is working some and they had one cell turned down only one and I swear they cleaned out the extra eggs that were in the frame. I have no clue why they would do that but its the second frame I put in that hive that I swear had a lot more eggs than they ended up with as brood. 

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »
and I swear they cleaned out the extra eggs that were in the frame. I have no clue why they would do that but its the second frame I put in that hive that I swear had a lot more eggs than they ended up with as brood. 

They may be cannibalizing them since their incoming resources are more than a little screwed up right now. Give them a few more days, and then try another frame off eggs if your one cell didnt take.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »
"Well I didn't know if it was working so I decided to take down the box and see what was inside. Well it slipped and the whole box fell 8 or 9 foot smacking the ground."

IMO it is best to not mess with your box, rather observe the bee activity and this will pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 01:17:05 pm »
I use a box with a wide entrance. Then I can look into it and see the number of bees on the bottom of the frames. That gives me a good idea of how many bees are in it.

PS. SHB may alter that scenario in your area.

They could be gathering at the window due to the smell of the nest seeping out there.

*Shel Silverstein*