Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing Situation?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
Robbing Situation?
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:54:30 pm »
A few days before our package bees arrived, we recieved some comb from another beekeeper to help start our hive. We put it in the hive right away and a day later there was a massive robbing frenzy. We covered the hive with a wet sheet and stored the comb in the house. This stopped them from coming around. Now that we have hived our package last night( one of the most amazing experiences of my life,) there is alot of activity in front of the hive. It doesn't look like the bees are bringing anything in and it might be robbing again. We smoked near the front of the hive and covered it with a wet sheet again. Was that the right thing to do? Is there anything else I should do? :?
"It is the melancholy face that gets stung by the bee”

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Robbing Situation?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:26:27 pm »
How long after you hived your bees did the activity take place.
For a day or two the bees have to oreint their location. Then when new bees take to the field they also have to do this, oreintation flight-play flight.
doak

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 03:35:57 pm »
Umm...we just hived them yesterday afternoon. Should we remove the sheet? Thanks for the help.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 05:38:27 pm »
I would remove the sheet. If you have an entrance reducer I would position it in the middle setting.  With a new hive there are usually not enough bees to gard the full length of the entrance, reducing the width of the entrance will aid the bees in garding the hive and reduce robbing if it is occurring. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 08:22:15 pm »
Great, thanks for the help!

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »
Ok, another problem. There are many,many bees hovering around the entrance. More are all over the landing board. Some are going in and out and only a few of those with pollen, others are just staying on the landing board. I don't think they are just trying to keep the hive cool because it just got done lightly raining and it has cooled off considerably. Could they be getting ready to swarm? Or could it really be a robbing attack?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 06:31:10 pm »
If the bees are fighting, it's a sure sign of robbing. That is the best way to tell the difference between,
"robbing" and playflight/oreintation flights.
It could still be hot in the hive, and from this time till dark more field are returning and some will take up, hanging out on the "front pourch".
Main thing is to watch for fighing.
If they are not fighting not to worry too much if you're sure they have plenty of room.
Some time the only sign of swarming will be inside the hive in the form of a queen cell.
Hope this helps.
doak

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:05:15 pm »
They have calmed down now.Thank you, the info helped, I'm just a worried parent. :roll:

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 07:49:21 pm »
On average a playflight/oriention flight last about 1 to 2 hours.
Most often from mid afternoon till sundown/dark.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:13:51 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin