Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Single Varroa Mite  (Read 3499 times)

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Single Varroa Mite
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:48 pm »
I almost missed it, too. Had to use the macro lens on my camera to figure out what it was.

I put an 8.5X11 sheet of paper, sprayed with Pam, under the screen for 24 hours. I did not do a sugar shake. Came out with a single varroa mite. Was I supposed to do a sugar shake before? Do I need to do one now?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Single Varroa Mite
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »
One mite?  I wouldn't worry about that.  You can do a sugar shake to see what comes up, but only one dropping is a pretty low threshold.

Also, leave it out over a few days, and then count.  The longer you can leave it the more accurate the count will be.
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:06:05 pm »
Now you know what one looks like... that you had them was a forgone conclusion...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »
If that poor lil mite gets lonely I'm sure there are those here who would be glad to donate a friend or two :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »
Now that I know what they look like--and how hard they are to see--I find there may bee more of 'em. I did the 48 hour test and found 15-20 on a page. Not sure why the 24 hour test wasn't very effective. I think I'll sugar dust to be safe.

It's a weird feeling to have one crawling on my finger. I thought they would be dead after getting stuck to the Pam, but noooooo.

And is it my imagination, or do they jump?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:25:21 pm »
No, they don't jump.   Just crawl around, like bed bugs.  :-D  You got the willys yet?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:17:01 pm »
It's funny the first time you see one move (after seen them stationary on a bee) and you find how fast they are.  They are much more mobile than most reports seem to indicate...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:12:28 pm »
No, they don't jump.   Just crawl around, like bed bugs.  :-D  You got the willys yet?

Oh yeah. Kind of like a tick. You know it can't hurt you unless it's latched on for some hours, but holding one in the hand is hard.

Hey, Allen, how do you know what a BED BUG looks like?  :-D  I laugh but not too hard. I live in a bed bug hot spot...woke up the other night with a centipede crawling on me, found out they love bed bugs. What is worse I wonder?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 02:43:55 pm »
Bed bus are all you see on the news now.   Creepy.

anything