Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A new one on me...  (Read 5262 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
A new one on me...
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:15:54 pm »
Its not saying much, because other than making splits, Im not versed in the many different forms of queen rearing. What is this guy using to saturate the cells to basically just float the larvae out (with a good thump of course)

včely v Beskydech-chov matek-larvovánĂ­

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
Re: A new one on me...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:03:58 am »
This looks really interesting. I hope someone can elaborate on this or find a website explaining it. Thanks for posting the video.
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:43:21 am »
Diluted honey.   It is commonly used to polish cups before grafting.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »
As I see it: either warm or diluted warm honey. The guy smacks the frame thus dislodging appropriately aged larvae for grafting. Apparently he finds it easier to graft from the suspended solution. Obviously he is adding royal jelly to each cup before transferring larvae.

Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

My only question would be success rate? And is he using royal jelly that he collected or got it elsewhere?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »
Looks pretty interesting.  It would be nice to have a little commentary on what he was using and why though.  I wonder how the solution he is using is affecting the acceptance rate though.  Seems adding something foreign to the queen cells may have some kind of affect one way or another.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »

My only question would be success rate? And is he using royal jelly that he collected or got it elsewhere?
...JP

2 good  :? :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »
The larvae have to be right side up or they drown.  Seems guaranteed to drown them.  Not only does it dump them upside down, but he leaves them in the honey until he pulls out the queen cups,  messes with them, primes them, and then finally grafts... I'd be curious to see what his take is...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00:53 am »
 maybe he is just trying to produce queen cells-to produce royal jelly and dosent care if they take -RDY-B

I tried to do some translating and they ask him about the larve being upside down and here is response--carry-larviček as lying in the cell is just superstition,, larva in my rewinds itself into position.

adoption:

May - 60-80%

June - 80-100%

July-70-90%
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:32:26 am by rdy-b »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:27:03 am »
I'm not saying he is wrong, but that "superstition" about them drowning if upside down is taught by all of those PhDs teaching queen rearing and they tend to shy away from superstition.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:43:33 am »
maybe he is just trying to produce queen cells-to produce royal jelly and dosent care if they take -RDY-B

Will bees give royal jelly to dead or dieing larvae  :? :?

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:00:28 pm »
I'm not saying he is wrong, but that "superstition" about them drowning if upside down is taught by all of those PhDs teaching queen rearing and they tend to shy away from superstition.

Yeah they do.

But they also stick with what is probably 99% of the stuff that was thought up by, tried, and tested, by beekeepers in the field.  ;)

I find this interesting. And will certainly try it. And just because some "PhD" say otherwise that it should not work, is not a reason for me to not try it. It's not like these people have not been wrong before about a boat load of other things.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »

yes but he is saying that the larva unwinds itself-i guess that means they right themselves so they dont drown -it seams to me thats why the honey is thinned so much to the point it floats the larvae so they pop out -that must be a important factor -the honey has to be very thin-there is a art to alot of the third world beekeeping that dosent make much sense to many-very interesting none the less-RDY-B

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:45:29 pm »
Who you calling third world beekeeping?  :-D

I think in the state of the bee industry in this country, we should be looking to some of these "third world" countries for some ideas.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 10:05:10 pm »
rdy-b.......

I have keep bees  in North Africa  :-D

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
I've not tried any technique other than 'split' queen rearing. Wasnt a whole lot I could screw up with the bees requeening themselves. I plan on doing some grafting this upcoming year from a couple of my feral queen swarm hives and had never saw this particular technique before. Thought it was pretty darned cool.