Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How access a cut out through the roof?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
How access a cut out through the roof?
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »
I am a numbskull and have agreed to remove bees from a steeply pitched roof. It seems like a very busy hive, and the bees in our area are storing honey like nobody's business, so I'm sure this is gonna be a messy challenge.

The homeowner does not want us to reach the bees from inside the home as the bees seem to be living between the studs (rafters?) of a high and steeply pitched ceiling in their living room, and they're afraid an inside cut out would be a mess mess mess.

I'm afraid that the honey dripping from the roof onto the ceiling will also cause a mess that may destroy the ceiling, and I'm not at all crazy about working on a roof or on ladders. A contractor has been hired to do the deconstruction and the reconstruction, but I'm still not thrilled with the idea of accessing the bees and comb via a hole in the roof.

Does anyone think this situation calls for a cut out? Or am I being neurotic about doing a cut out by going through the roof?!

Thanks for any help you can offer...other than never ever agree to do this again...which I now know.

Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: How access a cut out through the roof?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:38:55 pm »
Liz, I've done a good handful I can think of where I went through the roof. Take a pause and remember you will have a contractor there with you. As long as you are safe and secure on the roof you really have no worries about the honey as its the contractor/home owner's problem. Devise a plan with the contractor for your safety & proceed forward.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »
Thanks for the pep talk, JP, and I have to admit that you've calmed my nerves a bit...though I still have a week or so yet to worry about it. Can you direct me to any of your through-the-roof-removal videos so I can get some idea of what the heck this is gonna look like?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:17:35 pm »
I found a few pictures of one I did a while ago. Will have to upload them to photobucket. I believe I may have one on video, I have to look.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:34:23 pm »
I cringe at the quality of this video but it will at least give you a few ideas albeit's not a very steep roof.

...JP

Honey Bees Removed From Roof Of Building

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:25:32 am »
Just how steep is the roof?  Is the contractor providing the ladders/lift device?  Myself I do not like working on a ladder, but a lift device might be good thought.  You also did not mention how high up ....Multistory?  Pitch of roof?  All those things are a consideration, and yes the contractor should be a big help.  You providing protection gear for that person?????
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:59 am »
I would put the burden on the home owner and their contractor. Tell them to open it up and provide you with a scaffold, platform, or lift and you will remove the bees for them. That should not be a problem since the contractor has to open it up and make the repairs.

Good Luck,

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:56 am »
Make sure the contractor opens a hole larger than you think you need. Once you flip over the sheathing most of the comb should come along with it and you might avoid dripping honey on the sheet rock below.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:03 pm »
Thanks for all of your suggestions, friends. We experienced a significant death in my family today, so I haven't had time to worry so much about the roof job...I'll get back to worrying about that in a day or two. :) And then I'll re-read and think through your kind suggestions with more focus.

-Liz