Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: entrance reducer?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline bobby

• New Bee
entrance reducer?
« on: May 12, 2005, 09:03:13 pm »
i hived my bees last saturday. i have the intrance reducer on the smallest hole. the weather here has been about 90 degrees in the hot of the day. do i need to open it to the next bigger or do i leave it alone for now? i dont want to over heat them but i also dont want to leave them vulnerable either. help. thanks.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
entrance reducer?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:12:37 pm »
I would. 90 degrees is pretty hot, and I'm sure they'll need to keep the place cool. If it chills down at night, I'd put it back to the small opening.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
entrance reducer?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:14:33 pm »
I have to hives 3 feet apart and when I got mine I didnt put in a entrance reducer due to the feeder. I would say you could at least put it to the biggest opening on the reducer.  :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: entrance reducer?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:11:18 am »
Quote from: bobby
i hived my bees last saturday. i have the intrance reducer on the smallest hole. the weather here has been about 90 degrees in the hot of the day. do i need to open it to the next bigger or do i leave it alone for now? i dont want to over heat them but i also dont want to leave them vulnerable either. help. thanks.

Follow how they ventilate and make a proper entrance. Under 5 ventilators outside is good on hot day. If hive has really hot, they come out and are hanging on outer wall.

When I have 2 frame mating nucs I have 20 mm x 25 mm large openings.

Look ventilators!

anything