Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So I think I have an inadequate queen  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
So I think I have an inadequate queen
« on: May 26, 2013, 03:09:04 pm »
did a really through inspection this morning and either the weather has a huge impact on her efficiency or she's a dud.
I took 3 pix but I don't think I can post them yet since I'm rather new.  But I'll try.

Upon my inspection this morning there are only a few capped drone cells with a few uncapped larvae.  Spotty pattern with what is there, only about 5 on a whole frame. and I THINK I see a queen cell, although I'm not sure there's anything in it.  It's in the middle of the frame.  That is one of the pix I did get.
There is some nice newly capped honey on the outer edge of a frame or two but only a little.  =)  a decent amount of pollen and bee bread and quite a bit of glistening stuff within the cells.  I still don't see ANY eggs although I did see a few uncapped larvae like I said before.
The weather in NJ has been rainy and chilly with only a couple nice warm days since I got them on May 12.  I only go in once a week.  I am providing 1:1 sugar syrup and today sprayed the untouched frames (5) with same syrup but I added Pro-Health to the feeder and the spray.

Am I expecting too much from them given the crummy weather I've been having?  Next week is supposed to warm up (80's) so maybe that'll give them the push they need.  Hopeless in NJ.
Sally

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: So I think I have an inadequate queen
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 05:02:11 pm »
grab one of the moderators to post your pics for you.  we'll be able to tell a lot more about it when we can look.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:10:42 pm »
I probably should have rotated this one but it is hanging the right way...

Showing multiple drone cells and irregular pattern...

lots of glistening stuff but no eggs that I can see but I admit my eyesight is AWEFUL!!!

So I appreciate anything you can tell me from these pix.  I saw a newly emerged bee get dragged out this morning, dead.  NOT what I wanted to see.  I also too pix of it just in case anyone needed to see that. 
Sally

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:33:01 pm »
Your queen is being superceded. Let the bees sort it out.
Looks like they are taking care of business!

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:15:16 pm »
Thank you.   That is what Isuspected.   I  didn't think she was doing her job but being new I thought I second guess myself.   I lack confidence and knowledge.   Dangerous combination.
Sally

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:12:28 pm »
A frame of eggs and open brood from another hive is always good insurance.  Hopelessly queenless bees will still try to raise queens from laying worker eggs.  Almost always unsuccessfully.

http://bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:31:08 pm »
the problem is I don't have another hive.

I contacted the person I bought the nuc from and he really didn't answer my questions.  He said I can purchase another queen or let them raise their own. 10 days until she emerges then 12 days to start laying eggs.  Do I have that much time?  realistically I should start getting eggs by the last week in June IF everything goes perfectly as planned.  Being that they are not a strong hive right now will I have time for them to recover before we need to start gearing up for winter?
Thankfully I'm not relying solely on him for answers.  =s

Sally

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:43:36 am »
>the problem is I don't have another hive.

Not a position you should ever allow yourself to be in...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:20:10 pm »
It's good to go to some meetings and maybe find some local beekeepers that you could call on to swap a frame with you.

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:51:08 pm »
I am in the process of joining a few local groups.  There's a meeting Saturday.
Sally

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »
When did you get the nuc? If only a month ago then I think the nuc supplier would give you another queen. IMHO. I know I would. I'm not a bee supplier but that just seems like the right thing to do.
Later,
Ray

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 07:05:01 pm »
I picked it up may 12. 
I have to admit I was rather disappointed with our correspondence. 
Sally