Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russians and italians in the same beeyard?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
Russians and italians in the same beeyard?
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:29:35 pm »
Does anyone have experience having both Russian and Italian bees in the same bee yard?  I heard that when they cross breed the next generation tends to be very hot.  Also I heard that when the Russians' population drops (for mite control) the Italians will rob them and/or take over their hives.

I am interested in your experience with keeping the two races in the same bee yard as I would like to have both.

Thanks!

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Russians and italians in the same beeyard?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:57:53 pm »
I have Russians, Italians, Caucasians, and ex-feral bees and they all seem to do fine.  They are all intermingling and slowly becoming the same mix of mutt.

ETA: Some of my bees are hotter than others, but I don't see any pattern in the distribution, other than that the local survivors tend to run hotter than any of the pure breeds.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:46:05 pm by Bill W. »

Offline RZRBCK BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:29:01 pm »
Does anyone have experience having both Russian and Italian bees in the same bee yard?  I heard that when they cross breed the next generation tends to be very hot.  Also I heard that when the Russians' population drops (for mite control) the Italians will rob them and/or take over their hives.

I am interested in your experience with keeping the two races in the same bee yard as I would like to have both.

Thanks!

You read my mind. I was just getting ready to ask the same question. I currently have 4 hives of Italians(Minn Hygenics) and am trying to get a couple of Nucs of Russians. Just didn't know how well it would go.

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:45:04 pm »
(Whoops.)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:15:58 am »
Learning the different languages is the only problem.

Those Russian Drones love those sexy Italians !

:evil:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:25:58 pm »
I have a mix of Russian/Carniolan mutts and Italians.  They have done fine together.

I haven't let them raise any queens since I added Italians to the mix.  Next year I plan to make splits and see what the daughter queens are like.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:12:48 pm »
I have Russians, Carnies, and Italians in the same beeyard.  A bit of proddiness can crop up in any strain or cross from time to time.  It's not considered a problem until it becomes more the norm.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 08:53:25 pm »
they will do fine in the same yard.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58:08 pm »
I don't have experience with Russians so anyone could chime in on this---as if they won't!!! :-D

I have heard that Russian bees first generation are usually aggressive.  The next generation from the queen's eggs are usually more docile.  This might have something to do with your statement of "being aggressive"?????? :?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:51:55 pm »
I have russians, nwc, minnesota hygenics, ferals and mutts in my yard and I don't see any issues arising from different races being neighbors.
I don't know about the russians being aggressive, mine aren't.
My minnesota hygenics are the most aggressive of all the bees in my yard, very pingy.
The ferals are the nicest and the most prolific for me, I wish all of them were from that stock.
The russians are from different breeders so they have different behaviors.
You can't really lump races together since the genetics vary so much.
I have a russian hive that is extremely mellow, another one that is almost as mellow and then one that doesn't tolerate too much without trying to run you off.
I think alot more depends on the genetics than the race.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 08:08:52 am »
I now have 6 hives of Russians since I changed from mutts.

I get stung about the same amount, generally when I do something stupid, same as before !

Nothing to write a book about.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 12:30:51 pm »
Those were great responses, thanks everybody.

anything