Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: *waves* from NE Louisiana  (Read 8652 times)

Offline just_Joie

• New Bee
*waves* from NE Louisiana
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:08:27 am »
I recently moved up here from Florida, where I was often hanging out at local bee yards, enjoying the bees. They have had a near magical effect on me, as if all troubles go away and their hum and little faces looking up at me from the frames is all there is that matters for a while :). I was a cop back in Florida and way too stressed out, but it was the bees who made me realize that and that there is more tolife.

So I sought and found and now live on perfect bee property in my assessment and I want to start my bees and expand as it is natural to do so, in hopes of having an apiary up here eventually. I'd like to do nothing but bees for a living, and have downsized as much as is humanly possible to shorten that road.

Circumstances have helped in that recently  :roll: I got laid off from a local job I managed to scare up in nowhere, and am now looking for work enough to get by. If wishes were horses, there's a beek or three here who might need some help willing to be paid in part in bees :).

And yes, yes, I am looking for work LOL. ... and a mentor close enough to be with now and then. I am about an hour drive from Natchez, and looking for beek friendsto run with... or leads for a job to fund my beeking :)

Best to you, just_Joie
"Many a man with the sound of bees over his head, finds happiness, deeper and sweeter than ever comes to the merchant prince with his cares and his thousands."
-W.Z. Hutchinson, Advanced Beekeeping

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: *waves* from NE Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:21:06 am »
Hello and Welcome just_Joie
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny   

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:43:17 am »
Welcome aboard.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:44:50 am »
I know what you mean about the bees mellowing you out. If I have a bad day a half hour of just siting and watching the bees helps allot. And welcome to beemasters form. Good luck on the job hunt.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »
Welcome to beemaster beekeeping forums just_joie. I am also know as swabby on beesoure.com .Talked to you Wednesday night about getting you some bees.
JP just called me to say he was going to try to help you with some bees. He is a one of the good guys and will help anyone with a bee problem.  There is no-one I have met in beekeeping with a bigger heart than JP.   Good luck and God bless,  jimmy aka swabby

Offline just_Joie

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 06:05:18 pm »
Welcome to beemaster beekeeping forums just_joie. I am also know as swabby on beesoure.com .Talked to you Wednesday night about getting you some bees.

Yes, and I jumped on your advice, too :). A lot of people have wanted to help, when I got let down by the folks I ordered bees from, too late to fix it, but it is hard to get some things together over such distances.

JP just called me to say he was going to try to help you with some bees. He is a one of the good guys and will help anyone with a bee problem.  There is no-one I have met in beekeeping with a bigger heart than JP.   Good luck and God bless,  jimmy aka swabby

He genuinely seems so and we are talking now to try to get this newbee straightened out and really ready. I owe you and JP, seriously. :). Thanks, guys :).

Also thank you all for the warm welcomes. I really do appreciate it and as a newbee have little to post, but I am here and also mostly at beesource. When I actually know some things, I willbe as fast to share as you all are now.

Best to all, jj
"Many a man with the sound of bees over his head, finds happiness, deeper and sweeter than ever comes to the merchant prince with his cares and his thousands."

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:35:14 am »
Dear JJ

Welcome to the forum and the world of bees. I just love how you expressed yourself about your feelings towards the bees.  When I first started beekeeping, I was going through a very hard time in my life and I can truly say that taking care of the bees helped me turn my life around that first summer.  Not to many people mention about their little faces and how they look when they are lined up on the frames.  I like that you mentioned this.

You are very lucky to live close by to JP.  I am also in touch with JP and he has been a tremendous help to me with catching a swarm a few weeks ago and just being there to talk to.  He is a good guy and a great person to talk to. 

He will surely help you in the world of beekeeping. 

Good luck with job hunting and settling in with the bees.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:27:10 am »
First off, y'all are making me blush, so just stop it already. I'm just like any other jerk out there trying to do the right thing, but thanks for the kind words nonetheless.

Joie, this is my anniversary weekend, so I'm not sure that this weekend will work, but perhaps this week will. I will stay in touch.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 12:59:15 pm »
Joie, welcome to our forum, that is wonderful that you found us.  Serenity amongst the bees.  That these little beauties will do to you, they will hold you deeply under their spell, and you will be compelled to delve deeper and deeper among the bees.  You have had a stressful life in law enforcement, I take my hat off to all that are in that field, somewhere I would never want to go, it is stress, beyond stress.

You are up to interesting stuff, and you have seen how people pull together to make things work.  We have a forum full of wonderful people, you see that more and more, the more that you stick around.  I thank my lucky stars for the day that I found our forum.  It has been a wonderful place to express myself, to learn, and I have made some great and wonderful friends (I love you guys, you all know that).

The fun that we have in here is the best thing, I laugh, that brings up serotonin levels, I sometimes cry a little to myself too, but that can also be a good thing.  Anyways, ramblin' here, you will find me, that ramblin' gal, I can sometimes go on and on and on.....just like that Everready bunny in the battery commercials, smiling.  Enjoy your stay with us.  A place to tell your stories, tales, experiences, and that bonus of new friends.  Have the best of this wonderful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:30 am »
We are meeting in McComb, Mississippi this morning. Will let you know how it goes.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 06:13:07 pm »
Welcome just_Joie, good luck finding some bees.
Bobby

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »
Someone was very happy to get bees today!

...JP

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »
JP let me say you just going  to have to grit your teeth a little cuz this world needs more folks like you around. Just look at the big smile on her face . You have made an impression on me in the short time I've known you.   JP as Ralph Cramden used to say," you are the greatest."

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 11:27:30 pm »
Deb said things went fairly smooth, one of the colonies, the queen was caged and she had to release her, said the queen climbed up her arm and she lost track of her, but we think she may have flown back in.

She was going to check either before dark or tomorrow morning for the queen. There was apparently a little chaos, perhaps a little drifting, Deb said there was a little robbing going on, but she reduced the entrances and things calmed down.

I'll let her explain when she pops back in.

It was a real pleasure meeting you today Deb, I hope the girls do ok for you.

...JP

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:27 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum!  I know how enticing bees can be.  As a small child, I used to pet them because I thought they were cute.  (I would NOT advise that course of action though.  Bees don't like to be petted.... :shock:)  Good luck and enjoy your girls!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:23 am »
JP, yay!!!  You do dude, so cool!!!  Beautiful days in our great lives, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline just_Joie

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 01:02:11 pm »
Yes, I have my bees, courtesy of JP and Jimmy helping me find him :). THANK YOU BOTH!

Two little hives and a small cut out, but "small" is relative. One is ready for a new box to expand into which I plan to add today. The other isn't far behind. The little cutout, he already told you about me losing the queen, but they are quiet, none of the roar going on, business as usual, so I suspect she did hop back in while I was yelling "Oh, no!"

What a gorgeous queen she was, too, so I am really hoping she did go back in, and things are fine for them all. Those are in a medium, and alreayd they have new comb started, about half a frame worth and are working on drawing out some of the foundation he had in there as well to fill up the box for them. They have about six frames in progress, so they are thinking big even if they are a small group for now.

Here's a funny nobody ever wrote about or told me I learned. About sundown I went out to check on them for the hundredth time, and oh man, how disappointing! Already worried I'd lost that prime queen, now it seems the others have absconded! Nothing moving, not ONE bee at the entrances, nothing at all and not a sound to be heard!

All upset, I reach down and yank the top off the largest hive to verify nobody is home, thinking all kinds of thoughts and lo and behold several thousand little faces look up at me in surprise with a uniform "Do you MIND??" expression on their little faces LOL!

I didn't know they go silent basically as they settle to sleep :).

I am getting more jaded already though, into a toughened beek. I have only been out to cooh and talk to them a dozen times since dawn. So, there is hope for me yet!  :lol: 'Course, it is only 11am...

Oh and JP is a sweetheart for those who haven't met him yet, and his wife is wonderful, too.

Deborah "Joie"

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
Oh I just love happy endings and you certainly have one there. So glad it worked out for you, and I have to tell you I just love how you express yourself in words.  I look forward to more of your stories with the bees.

Thank you JP for your good heart in making this woman happy. Another woman happy because of you.  I know, I know you are blushing right now.

Stay in touch with how the bees are doing.  Don't open them up to much, just enjoy them from the outside.

Annette

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 01:57:04 pm »
I know what you mean about all the little heads lined up.  I did a cut-out yesterday afternoon from an old garage.  Before starting, I took my flashlight to peek between the boards to see what I was getting into.  Hundreds of little heads were lined up looking back at me as if to say, "Yah, come on in human, we got something for ya!"  As it turned out, they were actually calm and very co-operative. :-D

Offline just_Joie

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »
Don't open them up to much, just enjoy them from the outside.

Thanks, Annette, and no, other than my yanking off the top thinking they were gone, I haven't opened them since setting them out and doing a quick check. I'll do that in a few days to make sure all is right.

I can hear their hum so I figure they can hear me fine with the lid down :). I just lean over and watch the door guards pouncing on every returning field bee and interrogating them suspiciously, though if they have pollen they get off easier LOL.

"Give it a rest already, Maude! This is my fifth trip and it is always the same secret code word and you know me, for Pete's sake!"

jj

anything