Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are these eggs from the queen  (Read 2021 times)

Offline snowmix

• New Bee
Are these eggs from the queen
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:02:48 pm »
Well it's a really warm day for February here in Colorado. I noticed a lot of yellow stuff falling one of my hives so I decided to place a board under it. When I inspected it I found what looks like eggs or larva. I guess I'm wondering now if this is a pest or if the queen has run out of space to lay. Or if the bees are taking eggs and larva out.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Are these eggs from the queen
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »
Wax cappings .

Moots

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
snowmix,
Are you talking about everything on the board in general, or specifically the one item dead center of the picture.  :?

If the later, I can see where it kind of looks like an egg, but it seems WAY TOO large to be that.  Maybe wax moth larva...maybe??? Not sure.

Offline snowmix

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »
Yes I'm talking about the one dead center, there is another one on the right side of the picture

Moots

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »
Yes I'm talking about the one dead center, there is another one on the right side of the picture

How about scale?  Exactly how big is it, or what would you compare it's size to?  I think a egg from the queen is about 1/3rd the size of a grain of rice.  I'm guessing whatever is in your photo is quite a bit larger than that.

Offline snowmix

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:50 pm »
Well it is about 1mm long and about the diameter of a straight pin

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:47 am »
>Well it is about 1mm long and about the diameter of a straight pin

That would be in the ballpark of a bee egg.  It looks kind of juicy though, so if it is, it was about to hatch.  If it just hatched it would be curled up.  Usually when they remove eggs they consume them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:20:09 pm »
years ago i found a bunch of eggs on the bottom board.  never found an answer for it.  i did post pictures, but that was so far back you'd never find them.  it was an odd thing and i have never found the same again.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline snowmix

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:44:38 pm »
So maybe they were going to eat them and just dropped them on accident. I keep finding weird stuff when I take the time to look closely. It sure makes me feel better being able to come here to ask questions. So this spring I plan to graft a few larva. How much bigger then this egg will the right age larva be.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:01:39 pm »
where do you live?  go to your profile and put the info in so that we don't have to keep asking you   ;)

as i recall, there are some picture on here showing the right age for grafting.  try a search and see what you find.  most likely someone will have some handy for you also.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.