Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally got around to making an ant proof hive stand  (Read 6759 times)

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
Finally got around to making an ant proof hive stand
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:18:42 pm »
After losing two nucs to ants I came up with a solution for those darn Argentine ants that raid hives here in California. I made "T's" with 1" galvanized pipe. At the bottom of the T joint, I slipped on 2" white PVC end caps after drilling holes in them. I hung them upside down on the pipe and filled them with high temp bearing grease that doesn't run in the heat. The rain won't be a factor because they're upside down under hives.

I pounded the pipe legs into the ground 2 feet deep. I secured the 2x6 PT frame to the T joints with plumbing strap. The cross members are resting on the T joints to better handle hive weight. NO MORE ANT PROBLEMS! (Sorry about the finger in the second pic)

President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline Danpunch

• New Bee
Re: Finally got around to making an ant proof hive stand
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 02:19:51 am »
I think I know what I'm doing this weekend  ;)

Thank you for posting the detailed pictures, BlevinsBees!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:13 am »
On a TBH with 4x4 legs I put a gal ice cream bucket under each leg and filled it with water.  In the summer have to refill bucket about once a week.  I now have hives on a concrete slab, easier to keep ants and other things out.

Joe

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:38:39 pm »
Nice stand. Looks like it also makes for good airflow and ventilation, much more streamline than cinder blocks. I too have raging ant issues and like the whole grease idea. This winter will be a build time for me and I certainly have a hive stand on the list. Thanks for the pics.