Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: flowers for the bees  (Read 3586 times)

Offline garys520

• House Bee
flowers for the bees
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »
I have a good sized garden that I'd like to plant some flowers for my bees.  What variety of sunflowers, asters and other "bee friendly plants " are the best for a 30'x30' area with good sun. A lot of the seed catalogs are advertising  flowers that are low in pollen, so I want to make sure that I get the correct variety.  My neighborhood is loaded with small fields of wild flowers and I want to add even more for the girls to enjoy.   

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: flowers for the bees
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »
Hi Gary!

Here in Oregon in my yard, the bees go nuts about the lavendar, salvias, flax, cone flower and similar. I personally like to intentionally plant blue/purple flowering plants that last a long time or are staggered throughout the year. Of course they love my apples, maples, raspberries, tomatoes, etc but those are short-lived.

-John
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »
I like to plant stuff that takes over.  Sumac is one, it grows fast and pumps the nectar out.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »
Interesting, Ontario... what kind of Sumac? How long is nectar flow with that plant?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »
Its called staghorn sumac. It starts blooming in July and lasts about  3 weeks to a month. When the flowers/cones turn red its done; the nectar is flowing when the cones are green. ( I've always heard of the red cones being dried and used in smokers, apparently good for the bees. I've never tried it ).

Its great for the bees, but don't plant it anywhere you don't want it to take over, it sends up tons of shoots every year.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:55:06 pm »
Any type of sunflower will be fine as long as you can see the flower parts. I'm not a huge fan of "Teddy Bear" for example. The same info applies for Cosmos, Coreopsis and ever Marigolds. Assorted varieties of varying height and number of flowers are best. 

Aster novae-angliae and Aster novi-belgii gets lots of bees. Aster novae-angliae was an excellent Monarch plant as well.

Joe Pye Weed, Eupatorium fistulosum also does a great job of attracting assorted bees, and can be a butterfly magnet as well.

Liatris is a great one too. Just plant all the corms a few inches apart and you'll get a nice group of flowering plumes. Ones that flower in late summer are excellent for monarchs such as Liatris ligulistylis. They will fall over though or won't grow right if they're in the wrong soil.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:30 am »
Buckwheat grows quick enough to plant after your main garden is done (here in TN) and blooms until frost - which is good here because nectar is scarce after July 1.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:59:03 am »
I have trained 40 years bee friendly flowers. After years I amd amused in some species which I keep all the time and they are beautyfull.

1) Vercasbum nigrum  Finnish X Yougoslavian .  The Finnish plant has normally one stem and it become brown in August. Yougoslavian has many stems and it has no idea to start wintering in time. It blooms one month later. The crossings of these bloom 2 months

The plant in the picture is one individual.

Flower gives only pollen.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:03:50 am »
This is a vine from  Chile. It is very frost hardy. Leaves tolerate -7C and flowers -5C.

The flower has very large nectar store. I think that it is meant to humming birds.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:28:13 am by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:26:57 am »

One of my favorit Verbascum phlomoides.
It is biennal. If you give to it a lot of nutrienst it may grow 8 feet  high.
It gives pollen.

If it makes crossing between V. olypicum, the crossings cannot makes seeds and plants  flower 3 months or more.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 06:42:20 am »
You can't go wrong with rosemary. The bees are on it almost all year round. There is a very large hedge of rosemary around the house where I keep my bees.  They bloom almost all year round.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »
You can't go wrong with rosemary. The bees are on it almost all year round. There is a very large hedge of rosemary around the house where I keep my bees.  They bloom almost all year round.

Unfortunately only in temperate climates but I do attest when it blooms here in PA the bees are on it like white on rice.  We dig up and bring a few inside every year and plant them back in spring.  Along with new plants.  Man I would love to be in a zone like yours Annette.
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:45:14 pm »
oregano-they love that stuff.  buckwheat is easy to grow.  any kind of squash.  mint, lavender, sage, lettuce gone to flower, vetch.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:00:55 pm »
Try The Melissa Garden and a few other sites that list bee friendly plants and flowers. It lists some interesting properties of pollen and nectar from each plant. Be sure and check you Temperate Zone for each plant/flower you might be interested in. Good luck!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:01 pm »
 I just purchased some Agastache "Blue Fortune" that folks were raving about here on the forums... can't wait to get it in the ground and see if they go for it!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 10:55:27 am »
Cleome (spider flower), Liatris, Buckwheat, Clover, Goldenrod, and Eupatorium are all bee favorites here in NE Ohio. Japanese Knotweed is also a favorite with a lot of nectar, but it is invasive.
Alan

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:27 pm »
Japanese Knotweed is invasive!  Hmmmf   seems a lot of japanese things are evasive!   Japanese beetles!, Japanese Carp!  Now a flower,  Hope that at least the flower doesn't bite?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »
Yep, Kudzu, Potato vine, and hydrilla are all from Japan too (all very invasive in the south). I'm just waiting for Godzilla to make it across the pond now!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907