Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Newbee" from Virginia  (Read 3246 times)

Offline dmyrix

• New Bee
"Newbee" from Virginia
« on: July 12, 2008, 08:52:03 am »
Hi!  My husband and I are in our first year of beekeeping.  We have three hives:  two from Georgia packages and one from a local nuc.  We have 10-frame supers:  two hives are medium-based and one is deep-based.  We're in the foothills of the Short Hill Range, which is northern Virginia, about 10 miles from West Virginia and Maryland (that last peak in Virginia).  Great area and our bees appear to be thriving.  Enjoy watching them a lot!  Hoping to make some like-minded friends, glean from your wisdom, and be supported in asking the "dumb" questions we have as newbees. -- Dawn :-D
Dawn

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: "Newbee" from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:05:46 am »
Welcome to the Beemaster forums. Most are happy to share their gleanings here. This is a very friendly and helpful bunch!!We are all present or former newbees and all are constantly learning something. :)

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 10:58:20 am »
Welcome to the forum and beekeeping. I now keep my bees at a beeyard about 30 miles away, but I sure do miss sitting on the back deck watching them. I would spend a lot of time doing this. Addicting, isn't it...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:03:51 am »
Dawn, welcome to our forum.  Yes, you have found the place where you will meet like-minded people, we all have that common interest, and we are held under their spell, a little saying that is so true.  The more that you get to know your bees, see their antics, the more you will want to learn about them....they are fascinating, you are seeing this.  This is a place where you can tell us your stories and experiences with your bees.  We are all interested and listen, this is a place that will be your leaning post for learning, getting help with questions, and there will be many questions.  Always ask any question that comes to your mind, we were all once beginning with keeping bees, and we had questions too.  Have that most wonderful day, love our life we all live and share. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 02:49:14 pm »
Hi there!  I'm just north of you near Hagerstown. 

Enjoy watching them a lot!

I think you'll find you've come to the right place.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 10:19:46 pm »
HELLO FROM MARYLAND!!!!!!Glad to have you here..please post often so I won't feel so new..
My first hive is only a few weeks old. I captured 1 in a tree and another was a house removal. I had to combine them due to a queenless hive from the house and the stress of removal caused them to ignore brood. The tree swarm took over all duties and has accepted the new transplants.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:55:26 am »
Welcome,

It looks like there are quite a few of us in this general area.  I will be starting next year but am learning all I can so I make fewer mistakes when I start.  I have a bad habit of getting excited about something and jumping in head first.  I don't want the bees or my wallet to suffer because of it.  Its going to be a long winter waiting.  Good luck with your first hives and I look forward to hearing/seeing all about them.
Bees are the key to life as we know it.