Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mint flavored honey  (Read 9016 times)

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:00:14 am »
I just extracted this sunday--2 gallons.  The honey has a very distinctive mint flavor aftertaste.  It is really good but I have never tasted this before.  I am not sure where the plant is that is giving this flavor to the honey.  There are no huge beds of mint in the neighborhood.  Any ideas what other flowering plants could give a mint flavor to honey?
Rob
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:30:06 am »
don't know of any other plants that give a mint taste besides mint,, mint grows wild and once you plant one plant you can't kill the stuff, it just keeps growing and showing up, I planted one mint plant out by my garden about 6 years ago for my daughter and I have used Roundup and a few more and that stuff just keeps coming up, its covering about a 30 foot area so not out of hand but could be later on, I bet someone has some mint around there, and remember there are different kinds of mint also.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 11:26:37 am »
I would bottle it seperately and sell it as naturally mint flavored honey.  There are places out there that infuse mint into honey and charge a premium for it.  Something to ponder.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »
Mmm.  Minty honey, I would think customers would eat that up. :D  Really.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:17:28 pm »
Would be tasty in some ice-tea!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline keeper007

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:20:13 pm »
could it be linden honey
"Suspect everyone, even those beyond suspicion"
-Steve Leopard/Cirque du Freak

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:35:19 pm »
Wild aster honey has a very slight mint flavor. It blooms just before goldenrod in my area.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:00 pm »
There is quite a bit of lindon around here.  Does the flower have a minty necture?  The flower as I seem to recall doesn't have much of a smell.
Interesting to try and identify the flower that caused the taste.  Since this is the first year of the hives in this location, I may have found an interesting time of the year to extract honey to get this flavor!
Rob
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:25:51 am »
The Linden bloom up your way should be long past by now. Wild aster and wild mint are the likely source as they are abundant here and several guys I know keep their bees near relatively abundant sources just to get that flavor.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:04:45 pm »
The linden(basswood) bloom generally during the month of June, which is when much of the honey you harvested is probably from.

I find the flavor very strong in my June honey, and linden is the only source that I could figure out that would have enough volume to cause that strong of a flavor in my honey.  I just can't beleive that there is that much mint around, and I know one linden tree can have thousands of blossoms.
Rick

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:17:34 pm »
I looked up that linden tree (Basswood) and found this so I guest the linden tree is were it came from......... wish I had about 100 of them here

Produced from the nectar of the Basswood or Linden tree, this honey has a delicate body, with a hint of mint or floral flavor.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 02:23:19 pm »
I actually find what I presume is linden honey to be a bit strong, and kept that harvest seperate.  Some people seem to like both the linden and the regular(wildflower), but I think that most prefered the regular wildflower variety.

When extracting, it was throwing off smells that approached medicine/cough drop/eucolyptus smells.

Makes a great mead though 8)

-rick
Rick

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 07:04:28 pm »
The honey does not have a mint smell.  You only taste the mint after the initial honey flavor.  I feel like I am describing wine instead of honey, and quite frankly I can never taste half the flavors in wine that people say are there.  Even my 17 year old son tasted it, and with no prompting from me.
Interesting stuff.  It will be interesting to see if it is there every year, with what for me in my region, is my first good flow for extracting.
Rob

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 06:32:54 pm »
Rob wrote > what for me in my region,is my first good flow for extracting

Not sure if you are looking for quantity or flavor-----------
Probably any honey from local spring wildflowers. The only spring honey that doesn't thrill me is from dandelion bloom. This is a personal opinion,some say they love dandelion honey.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 09:47:48 pm »
Sounds like my early honey.  I just pulled a couple of frames yesterday and just like last year, it tastes like mint.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 02:17:00 am »

Bee balm is related to mint and it grows wild in your area if I'm not mistaken, as well as being a very popluar garden cultivar.  I planted a patch near my hives and the bumblebees are FIGHTING over it!

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 09:46:51 am »
Bee C,
I think you may have got the flower correct.  We have boatloads of beebalm in our area.  Between my neighbors and myself we probably have 100 plants.  As you noticed, it teeming with bumblebees, but I have not seen the honey bees on it.  I probably am just looking at the wrong times of the day.

Latebee,
This is the first opportunity to extract for my region.  I am not intersted in max amounts of honey (although that means more gifts) but high quality hives and honey.  

These hives are from packages this year and they have already filled up 2 stardard hive bodies with brood and now are working on lots of supers/ross rounds.  I really did not expect that this year from either hive.  I have filled 4 supers worth of ross rounds which really surprised me.
Rob

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 04:10:11 am »
Mint flavored honey makes a great glaze for lamb chops.  I have mint all along the creek and it's taking over the field.  The bees love it.  I'm seriously considering a buyinga couple of lambs to graze on it next year.  That way I won't have to use mint jelly.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Mint flavored honey
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 11:20:26 am »
I took a few shots of some of the rather impressive mint growth (infestation to some) around here but, naturally, my scanner isn't working. Anyway, along the Potomac and the Monocacy (around Frederick, Dickerson, Point of Rocks, etc)and many of the smaller tributaries I have seen many areas of growth exceeding an acre or more. It's actually quite attractive in full bloom but I have noted that the dominant species that I've seen on the blossoms has been an unusual sort of black wasp. Second most common are the smaller bumble bees and other small garden bees with honey bees being in the minority.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Mint flavored honey
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 11:29:50 am »
You Know thats fasinating you guys got all those nice trees back east you luky dogs
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything