Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to buy bees?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
When to buy bees?
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:00:04 pm »
 Hi all.

This was my first season bee keeping and after some trials and tribulations the two small casts I collected didn't make it thro the summer for varying reasons.

My question is would I be better off buying a hive/nuc of bees this time of year so they can crack on early in the spring or best to wait until the spring itself to buy some? Don't really wanna fork out any cash but over the last few years the swarms seem to be getting fewer than ever before.

The other question I have is that I do some work for a school that have a couple of resident colonies in a very high chimney that normally swarms once or twice a year. Is there any hardware i can buy to try and intercept these little fellas on their way out and on the way to a new home as I've heard of lures etc but need something that wouldn't need checking too often (due to the distance from the school) - maybe once a week?

Rob.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: When to buy bees?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:36:42 pm »
I don't know how moderate the weather is in the winter in the UK where you are, so I don't know how easy it is to winter a nuc.  It's not very easy here and here in Southeastern Nebraska, you'd be better off buying a package or nuc in the spring rather than risk it dying over the winter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:35:53 pm »
 Thanks Michael.

Temps don't seem to get below -5 C really over here due to the unnaturally mild winters we've had the last few years.

I may have left it a little late now with regards to picking some up so prob wait until next year. IS anyone forthcoming with details on swarm attractant boxes etc please?

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56:41 pm »
Most Bee supply companies sell a swarm trap and pheromone. Not sure what's available in the UK.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:56:42 pm »
>IS anyone forthcoming with details on swarm attractant boxes etc please?

Bottom of the page:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 06:04:01 pm »
 Thanks yet again - you must bet bored of all the praise you get on here  :)

Think I'll be busy with the tools this coming winter making some swarm capture boxes!