Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutouts and heat questions?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Cutouts and heat questions?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
This weekend’s cutout is very large and more than likely will take me two days. Temperatures are supposed to be close to 100 degrees both days.  I’ll be working in a basement crawl space so working temperatures won’t be bad I’m just worried about the added stress oppressive heat might put on the colony being handled, vacuumed, transported, and relocated???

What do you southern guys run into doing a cutout with temperatures this high?

Somethings you should know:
-   The job is an hour from my house.
-   We are having a very good flow going and I will be dealing with lots of uncapped honey.
-   Because it an inside removal I won’t be able to use smoke at all and I will be vacuuming the whole way. I have two Robo bee vacs, and extra shims.

Should I postpone this cutout, temperatures aren’t liable to get a whole lot better?

What extra precautions should I take to help the bees if I go ahead and do the removal?

Thanks, still a rookie and I don’t want to kill bees

Don

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Cutouts and heat questions?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:36 am »
First, I would open a small entrance, light my smoker outside, get it smoking well without flames, go in and smoke them lightly into the entrance. Take the smoker back out and leave it. You won't believe the difference it will make.

Secondly, I would combine the vacuumed bees on site and leave the hive there until dark. Other than that, it sounds like a normal removal.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:10 am »
First, I would open a small entrance, light my smoker outside, get it smoking well without flames, go in and smoke them lightly into the entrance. Take the smoker back out and leave it. You won't believe the difference it will make.

Secondly, I would combine the vacuumed bees on site and leave the hive there until dark. Other than that, it sounds like a normal removal.

100 year old house, the foundation wall where the bees have their entrance is made from limestone rocks and mortar and is about a foot thick, creating an opening to the outside will be tricky. I basically would have to enlarge the bee’s entrance to facilitate that. The colony is exposed below the 2 x 12 floor joists and the basement has an outside cellar door I can sneak a smoker into for a minute or two a couple of times.

I’ll take your advice and combine them at the jobsite before I leave. I made a couple of extra screened shims and can use one as a temporary top till I get them home.

Thanks,
Don

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »
If it's exposed, you don't need to make a hole. I only meant to open a way to get the smoke to them. The smoke should only be needed one time.

If you use a screen top, cover it. You don't want light coming in from the top. They will abscond.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything