Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: other Foundation Q's  (Read 2479 times)

Offline super dave

• House Bee
other Foundation Q's
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:38:35 am »
hi all
i'm just starting to get my mat. together for my first hive -- and i'm thinking of ordering foundation to get the bees started -- the Q i have is does it matter what foundation you use-- can i just order brood foundation --will it work for every thing or do i need to order different types
hmmmm deep thoughts
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
other Foundation Q's
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:14:37 pm »
There are many kinds, cell sizes, thicknesses materials and dimensions of brood foundation.  My favorite is no foundation:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

If you want to regress them to small cell (instead of just usuing natural comb) you'll either want to start with a few sheets of 5.1mm and then move to 4.9mm or just go with the 4.9.  The advantages are mite control.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm

If you don't want to go to small cell, then you need to buy "medium" brood comb.  Meaning it is worker sized (at least in theory though it's actually much larger) and it's of medium thickness.  This would be of beeswax and you may want to wire it or at least not put it in until the bees need it so it doesn't collapse.

If you use all one size of box (I use eight frame mediums) and one size of frames (I use mediums) and you want interchangability it's nice to use all the same cell size and kind of foundation so everything is interchangable.

Another option is fully drawn plastic.  Honey Super Cell is available in Deeps and PermaComb is available in mediums.

You can also go with plastic foundation.  The disadvantage (from my point of view) is none of it is really the right size (4.9mm).  The advantage is that it doesn't need wiring and is easy to put in.  The wax moths will still eat the comb but can't eat the foundation.  If you want to do crush and strain (as opposed to extracting) it doesn't work quite as well as wax.

You need the foundation to fit the frame.  In wax, Walter T. Kelly has the widest variety of foundation sizes.  But none are small cell.  They have them specifically for most top and bottom bar and frame size combinations.

In the case of plastic it's all pretty much one size for one size frame with no allowances for other variations.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline super dave

• House Bee
other Foundation Q's
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 07:20:45 pm »
wow so much great info
thank lots
dave
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

anything