Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long do they stay mad??  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Paperman

• New Bee
How long do they stay mad??
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:59 am »
I mowed the grass around the hives and they were fine with it until I made a bad turn and tossed some dust their way.  I made a speedy retreat away from the hives.  I left them for a good 20 min. while I trimmed a few other items across my yard.  After that 20 min.  I was working on putting my boys bike together aprox. 200' from the hives.  We had 2 bees that would not leave us alone.  They came the first time and kept bouncing off my head.  I told my boy to keep still and they would leave which they did for all of a minute.  They came back and would not leave.  As I stood up to leave she poked me right in the forhead so I smashed her and her friend.  Now my head hurts from the sting but I am more mad they would not leave us alone going on 40 min. from a brief mistake 200' from here.  I can see being mad at me but how long must they keep a grudge? 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: How long do they stay mad??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:50:59 pm »
Hard to answer for certain, could be the rest of the day or a few hours. If you didn't smoke them before mowing, try that next time. If they still get pissy when mowing you could seal them up (depending on how many hives you have) or mow by the hives after dark.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Paperman

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 02:34:39 pm »
Smoke is on order for the next mow job thats for sure.  That and a bit more attention to where the dust is headed not just the grass. 

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:27 pm »
I did a cut-out yesterday, and the girls are still mad at me, and anyone else who gets within 30 feet of them.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »
They are girls. They will hold a grudge forever..... :-D

Go stick your face in the hive everyday. Face recognition is something some claim bees have the ability to comprehend. After enough stings, you would think they could remember your face.... :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »
They are girls. They will hold a grudge forever..... :-D

Just for that, I will never speak to you again :-*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:24:08 pm »
Annette you're too funny :lau:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »
If they are anything like my wife, they will stay mad for years.  My wife has been mad at me since the birth of our son and he's 9 yrs. old. :evil:
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »
Yeah, Peggy is still mad at me for that certain dream she had while pregnant with our now 18yo daughter...go figure.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:12:09 pm »
I am sure I know what "that" dream is, because I had a similar dream and I am still mad at him for that one. :-D :-D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:02:03 pm by annette »

anything