Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To queen or not to queen?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
To queen or not to queen?
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:07:30 am »
I’m new to the forum and the world of beekeeping and I’m looking for advice. I started a hive late last August that maybe queenless (QL) now. I inspected the hive 3 weeks ago and found queen cells on a frame. I started destroying the cells as I found them. After inspecting all frames it hit me there were no eggs or larva just capped brood. I went back and looked for my marked queen and couldn’t find her. Two weeks later and no eggs or larva I thought I must be QL. Then I read a thread posted by Zoot on 6/06. Now I’m not sure. Today is three weeks since noticing. I plan to check for eggs today. I just got a new queen today. Should I go ahead and start the intro process or give it one more week?
Wes Sapp

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: To queen or not to queen?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:11:57 pm »
If you have the queen and there isn't brood in the hive. Put the new queen to work.

Sincerley,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:11:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply Brendhan.
I did intro the queen this afternoon. How long should I give them before checking to see if the queen was released?
Wes Sapp

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:40:08 am »
If you didn't do a direct release I would check in 24 hours. If they haven't killed her by then and they are gathering around the queen cage just do a direct release.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:44:18 am »
If you are doing a candy release, I'd come back in four days and see if she's out.  If you left the cork in, I'd come back in four days and release her.  That seems to have the highest rate of acceptance.  But they sometimes accept her much sooner.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:47:16 am »
Michael,

The reason I recommended 24 hours vs. four days is because they have not had a laying queen for 2 weeks.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:34:32 pm »
I did the candy release. But I think I will give it at least 3 days because I can't get another queen until the end of April if they don't except this one.
Wes Sapp

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:49:59 pm »
>The reason I recommended 24 hours vs. four days is because they have not had a laying queen for 2 weeks.

I understand.  And it may go fine.  Four days is just a better bet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin