Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Most Unfortunate Update  (Read 8180 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Most Unfortunate Update
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:32:11 pm »
Remember this hive I took pics of? http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March142008

Well, I had made some calls to the insane asylum where the bees were located, left a few messages and not a return call. I identified myself as a beekeeper that could remove the colony live.

Not one return call.

I pass by there once a week or so, and last night my wife and I went by and I didn't see the colony, but it was dark.

Today we went back over and I see that they really are insane because they hired someone to kill the colony. There were dead bees on the ground and bits of comb still attached to the tree branches overhead.

Can't tell you how po-ed I am!!! Sobs, plain & simple. Insane sobs really.

I get maybe one or two calls a yr for a hive like this. They are usually very strong bees, as they can withstand the elements.

Oh well, that's how it goes some time, bastages.

...JP :'( :'( :'(
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Re: Most Unfortunate Update
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 03:19:50 pm »
Sad to say, but a place like that probably has a contract with a pest control company and they used them instead of calling you. Possibly an insurance liability issue for them.
Too bad for the bees.
Brenda

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:30:07 pm »
Man, that really is sucky.
 I bet, though, Like Double bee said, it was probably a liability issue. You would think though, that whoever killed the bees would have looked for someone to keep them after being caught.......Or perhaps they were just too lazy to make arrangements.
 The liability issue comes up all the time where i work(an Air Force Base).
 Lucky for me, I'm expecting some calls from the "Entomology Branch" here. The girl there likes bees and told me she would call me first to see if I could catch the bees before they had to spray them. I think I'll be ok unless i fall off a ladder...Or unless someone else complains that they werent made the same offer as I was...You just never can tell when someones gonna ruin it for other people(or bees) huh?

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:14:31 pm »
i am getting calls right and left from people who have heard that all the bees are dying and they want their little hive saved.  if i wanted to travel all over two states and do this full time, i could.  shame that these folks didn't see the same reports!

having spent some time (working) on the lock up ward before, i can tell you that there are many liability issues.  not only for workers, but for patients.  even so, rules can always be bent, stretched, and broken. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »
i am getting calls right and left from people who have heard that all the bees are dying and they want their little hive saved.  if i wanted to travel all over two states and do this full time, i could.  shame that these folks didn't see the same reports!

having spent some time (working) on the lock up ward before, i can tell you that there are many liability issues.  not only for workers, but for patients.  even so, rules can always be bent, stretched, and broken. 

They never even gave me a chance, not even one return phone call. I would have signed their stupid little piece of paper.

The travesty is that this hive was completely exposed, wasn't like it was difficult to get to them, other than a tall ladder.

Some genius jackson made a very poor decision. I'm still very hot over it, trying to cool down, but its tough. :-x :-x :-x

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:57:12 pm »
is it a state hospital?  you could cause them, and the state some grief if you wanted to give the press a heads up.  you have good pics, and hopefully a record of your calls?  with all the poor bees dying off, how does the state justify killing off a perfectly good hive?   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:02:10 pm »
is it a state hospital?  you could cause them, and the state some grief if you wanted to give the press a heads up.  you have good pics, and hopefully a record of your calls?  with all the poor bees dying off, how does the state justify killing off a perfectly good hive?   :evil:

I'm just gonna get over it Kathy. I'm angry, yes, but I don't want to cause anyone any headaches. They were probably ignorant about the whole thing.

On second thought maybe you and I can go over there and kick some arse and take some names!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :-D

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:59:54 am »
So sad JP!!! What a beautiful hive.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:22:19 am »
Same thing occurred in Vineland NJ. Only its now being broadcast over net, incluiding the exterminator who sprayed them. Feel your pain....I would send hospital letter explaining what you do. Also find out who exterminator is and offer your services. If he killed one, he probably killed others.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:53:16 am »
Same thing occurred in Vineland NJ. Only its now being broadcast over net, incluiding the exterminator who sprayed them. Feel your pain....I would send hospital letter explaining what you do. Also find out who exterminator is and offer your services. If he killed one, he probably killed others.

I'm not going to drag this thing out, or get a bunch of people involved, I will move past it. Now, Terminix is the company that referred me to it in the first place, not that they have the contract with the insane, they got a call from people from across the street about the hive and they referred me. The terminix manager and I are friends, in fact I give him honey.

You all probably know I am a pest guy, just one that likes honeybees and tries to save them from being sprayed because it is not necessary, practical, and of course not the right thing to do with an insect so wonderful and important.

Not every insect is a pest, people just don't get this sometimes, in fact more than most realize.

And no, geckos are not pests, tree frogs are not pests, and if I see anyone spraying a praying mantis, they gonna get a fistfull! ;)

I'm still fuming over the spraying of that colony and this is the main reason I won't be contacting the insane asylum any time soon. Heck, they don't return calls any way.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:05:43 pm »
you know the old joke about the insane running the asylum :-).  you probably had 20 people standing around the ringing phone wringing their hands in distress.  how could they know the intentions of the caller???  and when you called back, and they knew the cause of the calls was that hive.....what else could they do?  they had to stop the ringing!  after that, they used all their aluminum foil on protective head gear.

sorry.  still on the first cup of coffee....  :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 12:27:33 pm »
you know the old joke about the insane running the asylum :-).  you probably had 20 people standing around the ringing phone wringing their hands in distress.  how could they know the intentions of the caller???  and when you called back, and they knew the cause of the calls was that hive.....what else could they do?  they had to stop the ringing!  after that, they used all their aluminum foil on protective head gear.

sorry.  still on the first cup of coffee....  :evil:

Yup, probably spinning in circles, pacing, running back and forth, yelling and screaming for nurse ratchet to answer the phone, then a big good looking Indian who secretly can speak ten different languages, but mute to them, detaches the water fountain and throws it at the phone smashing it into a million pieces!!!

After that everyone was sedated for weeks and my phone calls, what phone calls??? :-D

Thanks Kathy, I feel a lil better now.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:36 am »
JP, I can imagine how you feel.  That gave me kind of a sick feeling, I feel badly that people have to resort to such nasty and drastic measures to rid what they deem as pests.  To some humankind, the honeybee is a pest, plain and simple and they can't move past that.  It is a shame, and yep, the world needs to know that we need to save this species, they help to make our world a better place.  Have a beautiful, most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 02:25:19 pm »
JP, I can imagine how you feel.  That gave me kind of a sick feeling, I feel badly that people have to resort to such nasty and drastic measures to rid what they deem as pests.  To some humankind, the honeybee is a pest, plain and simple and they can't move past that.  It is a shame, and yep, the world needs to know that we need to save this species, they help to make our world a better place.  Have a beautiful, most wonderful day, Cindi

There are always more than one way to skin a cat. Some types just can't seem to think outside of the box.

...JP

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 03:54:30 pm »

There are always more than one way to skin a cat. Some types just can't seem to think outside of the box.

...JP

The Key Word in this quote is "think" and it has been my experience that most people today have forgotten how to do that. 8-)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 10:28:55 pm »
Hey you guys,
On a different note, a note that shows someone big does care about the honeybees:
 I was watching animal planet today and saw the coolest commercial with a bee in it, flying toward a really cool flower..As soon as the bee was almost landed, the commercial quit!...The words, to the effect came up and said "The honeybee is dying out"..You just have to see it! Its put out by haagen daaz ice cream(spelling?)..Maybe someone here can find it and post a link...It was in High-Def on my tv which really made it eye catching!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 10:36:24 pm »
Hey you guys,
On a different note, a note that shows someone big does care about the honeybees:
 I was watching animal planet today and saw the coolest commercial with a bee in it, flying toward a really cool flower..As soon as the bee was almost landed, the commercial quit!...The words, to the effect came up and said "The honeybee is dying out"..You just have to see it! Its put out by haagen daaz ice cream(spelling?)..Maybe someone here can find it and post a link...It was in High-Def on my tv which really made it eye catching!

your friend,
john

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5UiOkgclQ

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 09:40:09 am »
JP, good job, you always seem to find the coolest things, now howdya do that thing?  Beautiful day, awesome day, awesome life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 09:47:04 am »
JP, good job, you always seem to find the coolest things, now howdya do that thing?  Beautiful day, awesome day, awesome life. Cindi

Oh, I just did a search on you tube and then pasted the link in.

...JP

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 05:01:59 pm »
great video. Says nothing, but people will remember it. Bees are dying.... Thats all I hear from people when they find out I'm a beekeeper. Its good message...
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".