Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Racoons  (Read 3401 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Racoons
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:42:01 am »
Need suggestions short of trapping or shooting to make them look elsewhere to find nightime entertainment.  Seems we have a family of coons below a shed about 30 feet from my property.  Have seen them having spats with the cats, had them right off the porch in the trees, they have not bothered the hives, yet (cross fingers), nor the feeding station.  They did bother the cappings tray I set out about 100 yards downhill from the hives but they mostly just sifted around, the bees had done pretty well cleaning it up by then.

Anyhow, I have not had the opportunity to get a shot that I feel will kill, with a pellet gun.  Even that is illegal where I live in the city, so forget a real gun.  Trapping........well there are cats, lots of cats. 

Unfortunately we don't have a dog any more, and that would probably be enough, but.

Any other idea how to deter coons?  Anything they despise the smell of?  Mothballs?

Hives are a foot off the ground and no scratches at them either.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Racoons
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:53:31 am »
Harbor Freight has traps like this, but for 20 or 30 dollars, not 80.

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:51:29 am »
I bought a small battery powered (two D cell) electric fence unit made to keep pets out of the flowers.  I string two wires, one about six inches high and one about foot and a half, on stakes made of PVC pipes, around my raised beds and it keeps out the cats and rabbits.

I bet it would work to keep raccoons out of your bees.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »
tractor supply & many similar type of larger farm supply houses are selling a 2 trap combo, 1 squirrel & 1 coon/opossum size trap for around $30.00. i had to readjust the linkange to get them to work properly but they will work. i've caught them using canned cat food or tuna & peanut butter & sunflower seeds for bait. you can then drown or relocate any feral cats or coons. check local laws as it is illegal to relocate racoons in some states. chances are the the coons will not bother your hives but they do spread disease, worms, & other parasites. they are not too bad when parboiled & barbecued.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »
Because of cats I don't want to trap them, and I doubt I could get the grease past me into the pan to cook one.  I find them disgusting animals, but also quite interesting.  They carry diseases I don't want around and they are hasseling the cats and they are way too accustomed to humans and are not afraid of them as they should be.  Yep, don't think I could get away with repaitrating any anywhere.  Maybe 50 miles up river..........
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »
being able to release non feral cats is why you would use a live trap. the cats are not harmed & are rarely caught a 2nd time. i did have one cat last year that i caught 6 times. feral cats spread disease & parasites much like the racoons besides decimating songbird & bunny populations. if you catch a feral cat & cannot bring yourself to dispatch it you can take it to the local pound.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:45:04 pm »
Ive had my battles with racoons and won.  :-P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:06:09 am by duck »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »
Irresponsible, inhumane, and a murderer, just what are you using in the mountain dew?

I trap the coons.  Caught 24 one winter out of the chicken pen in the backyard.   I put the dog out there now and that takes care of the coons. 

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:39:27 pm »
I've been watching this thread and trying to stay out of it as I know all to well which way it would go; stupid, assinine and criminal.

Now before I come off it as a smart ass know it all let me assure you that I do not know it all, yet. I do however know enough about animals and wildlife; please note my signature line and the fact that I am the owner of said enterprise; to have kept my growing family fed and clothed all these years.

First off, forget you ever heard all of the above. I especially implore you to forget the little bit about the willful admission of a federal felony, it's only a $100,000 fine and ten years of your life.

In light of that the very first thing you need to do is get it in writing the exact laws and regulations regarding the take of furbearers and game animals in your specific state, county and jurisdiction. This and only this is the governing authority for you. Internet experts to the contrary, neither I nor any other not intimately familiar with the statutes of your locale can properly advise you on the best course of action. If you would like I do have a colleague that resdies and operates in your state and he would be my go to guy if I had to advise you, better yet I can forward you his contact info.

What I can do in the meantime is to provide you with details from the states I have operated in and others that I am aware of to give you some idea of what you might expect to find in your own state. Be advised though that your state is quite frankly full of fruits, flakes and nuts that have ill advisedly placed bizarre moratoriums on sound scientific wildlife management practices so what I may describe as the proper, legal and preferred practice in one state may be a capital offense in yours.

For instance my residence state of Georgia specifically prohibits the take of both game, to include furbearers, and non game by any person or entity without licensure in accordance with regulated seasons for doing so. To do so outside of established and regulated seasons also requires the issue of a permit to do so. This is across the board, no exceptions not even for the homeowner or farmer. Your only legal out if you do not possess said license and/or permit is you better be able to show the bite or claw marks on your person that you incured prior to doing the deed.

My home state of Alabama is similar in concept save they do allow a property owner to do as needed though you are expected to abide by approved methods.

Georgia also allows for this out for the property owner as long as the property owner possesses a license which the Dept of Natural Resources will freely provide upon request and a quick course on methodology.

Both of these states allow the property owner the sole discretion of determining cause for action others such as North Carolina have a very specific need for actual physical damage in certain specific monetary amounts to have occured prior to requesting a depredation permit to be issued. This damage must be observed and confirmed by an agent of the state to boot.

Then we get into methods. In your state for instance, along with California and Colorado, roughly 75% of the accepted tools in almost every other state of the union are patently illegal. In one, New Jersey, the mere possession of one of those is a jailable offense. Others, like Massachusetts, make only a few of them criminal.
Specifically I am speaking of traps, footholds, bodygrippers, cages, snares, dogproofs, et al. Even in those states where all of the above are legal for use, as in both of mine, even they have limitations upon size location and species as well as stand offs and set backs. Additionally some states may restrict ancillary equipment such as New York's ban on animal parts; feathers, fur and bone; as lures.

Then we have the age old question of what to do with it once caught. Well back home in the Heart of Dixie as long as I remained within the same watershed and county I could drop the critter anywhere I wanted as long I had the written OK of the landowner. Here in Georgia though to do so is again a crime if the critter in question is a RVS (rabies vector species). To fail to humanely euthanize is a criminal offense. Now if your in Indiana you have options if you prefer not to euthanize, you may release the animal from the trap exactly where you caught it or you may euthanize it.

I won't even go into what to do with it after you done with it as even that varies from locale to locale and season to season.

Have I made my point yet?

Now I can't get away from here without doing the very thing I said I wouldn't.

You have been given decent, but not great, advice about traps as the cage trap in your locale, if legal, will be your go to. Just do not go to harbor freight or tractor supply unless your into catch and release, unintended release. I make my living with my cages and can only recommend the very best www.advancedtrap.com as I make my living with them and my progeny probably will as well. Now since you obviously are not I can make some recommendations. Your very base level cage trap is going to be the havahart brand that can be procured at the big boxes IF you assemble them with care and lots of reinforcements. This is the very base trap I would ever consider putting on my truck and then only as a backup of last resort. With constant use expect less than six months of service life. As you can tell I don't think much of these traps and the moniker havajunk is an industry catch phrase. Before any of the old and crusty reply this applies to current availability the 1079 and 1081 that made the brand are no more, the numbers remain but the quality does not. The next level of cages is the Safeguard and Tomahawk, the Safeguard was my trap of choice for years with the better Tomahawks being their equal. The Tomahawks have something for every budget from havajunk level to the equal of the Safeguard Pro. These will provide a year or more of service based on model and use.

Now on to the cat issue. I can and have caught raccoons right up in and amongst cats with very little difficulty. It can be done but I shall not share that trick on an open forum, PM me or better yet call if you wish. If dogproofs; coon cuffs, lil griz, alcatraz, egg trap, et al; are permissable in your area then dispense with the cages because dog proofs are even more cat proof than cages and can be made cat proof.

I must address one issue that I usually avoid as it tends to piss people off to be called stupid and criminal but here it is. Every jurisdiction that I am aware of has criminal penalties for take of wildlife with toxicants, ie poisoning wildlife. Also every toxicant; pesticide, herbicide, fungicide, et al; that is legal for purchase either controlled or not has been registered with the federal entity as well as each specific state where available and a major portion of this registration is a very specific labeling of specific accepted uses and very specific guides for such use. Again in every jurisdiction that I am aware of failure to abide by this registration and labeling specifices is a criminal offense.
In other words the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act governs the proper use of chemicals and almost every state has there own version as well for a double whammy of legal idemnity. And that only covers the chemical used every state also has statutes covering wildlife so you might just rack up a few more case numbers per event, call it a three for one deal.

Feel free to call me if I can be of help.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:13:14 pm »
 :goodpost:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:47:56 am »
Good advice David.  There are a lot of laws out there we laypersons are not well versed in.  Thanks for the post.

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:09:40 am »
I agree with Mr. Mcleod,
That said I have live trapped a few ferrel cats in my area.  I did so because there are agencies around me that will nueter or spay a ferrel for aroundn$25 to help control the population.  Once they are done I let them go on my property. Legal?  Humane? that is your judgement.  Just an option that might be available should you end up attempting to live trap your critters.
Lee

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:06:28 am »
I think I will get another dog, that worked for years, just didn't realize the value of the darn flea bags.   The cats are my cats, not feral.  Frankly I don't even want to deal with trapping them, I want them to leave my cats alone.  Guess I need a coon hound huh?
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 12:15:36 pm »
If you have dogs or cats around raccoons be sure to keep vaccinations current. Coons can contract and spread not only rabies but also canine and feline distempers, parainfluenza, parvo and several other nasties.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »
Another nasty we humans can contract is baliscaris procyonis or raccoon roundworm infections can cause blindness, retardation and death.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »
David, I have had big coons tare up a trap, so I built a couple.  Made them with 3/8s hot roll frame and expanded metal sides. What  ever gets in will be there.  Have let some neighbors with chicken houses borrow them.  I liked to put peanut butter on a piece of light bread and put some outside and inside trap and behind door release.  It is a bit heavy. 

Joe

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:23 pm »
After renting a trap from animal control to catch feral cats,neighborhood was overrun with cats.I built my own trap,weight about 20# and works a lot better than the rented model.It is legal here in Oregon to trap cats pests of all kinds.Animal control charges $5.00 per cat to take care off.
Caught a very large male coon once Had a very tough time releasing same,one very ANGRY coon. He was not [peed] It is improper!! :evil:
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

anything