Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding: Sugar Water with Essential Oils?  (Read 18387 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: Feeding: Sugar Water with Essential Oils?
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »
Quote from:  link=topic=32929.msg270567#msg270567 date=1305646631
How much ACV for a gallon of syrup?

AliciaH,
I use 1 tablespoon of ACV per gallon of syrup but i know people that use 2 tablespoons per gallon.  Bragg's ACV has all the good stuff still in it.  Store brands tend to filter a lot of that out.

If you do a search here you'll likely get a bunch more information that will explain it.  Been using it since 2009.  Mostly in fall when the syrup gets stored in the hive for the bees to consume all Winter.  This is the first year i've not used Fumagilin and that includes the packaged bees. 

Finski,
Not magic but observation. 

Make Mead!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33:04 am »
>Michael, Would you say the same thing about Apple Cider Vinegar?

I know of no studies on cider vinegar and Nosema (there are some on lemongrass essential oil), but the pH of syrup with cider vinegar would be higher than syrup and less conducive to the reproduction of Nosema.  There are studies on  what pH Nosema reproduces at best and the pH of sugar syrup is exactly perfect for Nosema reproduction.  While honey is more acidic.  I would likely keep the Nosema reproduction down.  If that would prevent or cure Nosema, I don't know.  But feeding syrup or honey or anything with sugar in it will clear up Nosema...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 06:53:29 am »
.  But feeding syrup or honey or anything with sugar in it will clear up Nosema...

I have not met this reading before and I have read  a lot of nosema.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 09:35:01 am »
...But feeding syrup or honey or anything with sugar in it will clear up Nosema...

Thanks
Make Mead!

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 11:14:27 am »

but the pH of syrup with cider vinegar would be higher than syrup

I'm pretty sure you meant that the pH with ACV would be lower than syrup
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 11:26:24 am »
The upside is it's an antimicrobial which means it will kill Nosema.  The downside is it's a antimicrobial which means it will kill the healthy bacteria in the bees' gut and in the pollen that needs to ferment in order to be digestible.  The other downside is a "feed stimulant" also acts as a "robbing stimulant".

I agree.

And it also is a foreign smell that interferes with the natural pheromones and communications of the hive.

I don't use any oils except for a particular test of breeder queens in the spring. Other than that, I see no reason for the expense, robbing, or other negative impacts on the hive.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »
Here is a recent write-up that I did that somewhat touches upon the idea of treating bees for this or that. Hope you enjoy....

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/beekramblings2011.html

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 02:59:20 am »
>> but the pH of syrup with cider vinegar would be higher than syrup
>I'm pretty sure you meant that the pH with ACV would be lower than syrup

I thought that' s what I said, but apparently not...  yes it would be lower.  To be specific:
syrup is about 6.0.  Honey is typically between 3.2 and 4.5.  Cider vinegar  will lower pH as it is more acidic and if you get in the range of honey you will encourage less reproduction of Nosema.  I don't know if there is evidence that it will KILL the Nosema, however.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 03:26:11 am »
I used this recipe from the maker of the original feeder. I made my own from a Rubbermaid container. The bees seem to love this recipe and consume it in a few days. My package installation is 17 days old and the girls seem to be doing splendidly. I ordered the Lecithin and oils from Vitacost.com. (http://www.collinsbeefeeder.com/About_the_Feeder.html)

5 Cups Water
2 ½ Pounds of Sugar
1/8 Teaspoon Lecithin Granules (used as an emulsifier)
15 Drops Spearmint Oil
15 Drops Lemongrass Oil

Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees.

Cool before using!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here are some pics of the good work the girls are doing. They loved the guides and are building straight and beautiful comb.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:47 am »
OH BOY. bees do not need those incredients. I use for swarms 20% sugar syrup. When bees have drawn combs, sugar is away and does not mix into honey.  To mix essential oils to honey during summer is not good at all.

I repeat: Nosema does not tease bees in summer.

Something "over nursing".

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 04:03:53 pm »
http://rnoel.50megs.com/letter9.htm this will not work on my phone but I have the letter saved on my work computer if you want to see it

You might have seen this it's part of the studies the maker of hbh did with the university of west virgina.

http://rnoel.50megs.com
And the uwv site also has good info

I use lemongrass spearmint wintergreen and tea tree. Spearmint  and wintergreen are
For mites tea tree is for nosema.
Lemongrass is just for taste.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 12:07:03 am »
http://rnoel.50megs.com/letter9.htm this will not work on my phone but I have the letter saved on my work computer if you want to see it

You might have seen this it's part of the studies the maker of hbh did with the university of west virgina.

http://rnoel.50megs.com
And the uwv site also has good info

I use lemongrass spearmint wintergreen and tea tree. Spearmint  and wintergreen are
For mites tea tree is for nosema.
Lemongrass is just for taste.

these are not scientific researches. No one do reseaches with non identyfied chemicals like "essentialn oils". They are volatile oils andthat iswhy they stinck.. It is big a group of chemicals.

In  Europe I have not found any varroa stuff which works via eating. Thymol is used widely in autumn syup.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »

What is they thymol used for in europe?

Sorry it's not up to your standards finski.
I guess the po foks in west virgina university just can't figure out them complicated concepts of theory, hypothesis, experment, and conclusion.
http://rnoel.50megs.com/letter9.html

Sorry last url was missing the l on the html.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 08:28:14 pm »
When I feed my bees I use ACV at the rate of 1 Tbsp per gallon.  I've been doing it for over 50 years.  ACV, beside simple syrup, is the only treatment of any kind I use on my bees, my hive losses have been low, hive vitality has been high, as has been production per hive.

Since both ACV and natural oils are deemed to be in the "Crackpot" scheme of beekeeping scientists have not given either any serious considerations.  Most of the scientific studies I've read, that expound great discoveries, have been of such a short duration as to be invalid in it's results.  Usually further extended studies have proven the conclusions of the short studies in error.  A study of 4-8 weeks really proves nothing, a study over 2-3 years would have much more validity but is often not done due to lack of "funding."

As a result may scientific fallacies continue to be prepetuated and "crackpot" practices that have proven helpful through years of use continue to be looked at as quackery, or as Finski says, "magic.".
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 04:04:24 am »
Sorry guys. Euope is 10 years ahead in varroa treament. Italian professor Nanetti one of the best.

Mixing all diseases and essential oils is "advanced hobby job".  i know something too with my 48 beekeeping years.  look from google "nanetti varroa" and you get best knowledge in the world.  USA is now repeating Nanetti's findings.

"natural oils" means nothing.  what are then "unnatural oils".

Offline showme714

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 06:20:51 am »
I did Google "nanetti varroa" until I found something in English that I could read. Very interesting and read worthy. My colony is new and no problems so far. Thanks for the tip Finski but why do you always seem to come across like everyone else is stupid and doing things wrong and you are the only one who knows how to do it right? Is it just me?

http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/veterinary/issues/vet-09-33-4/vet-33-4-4-0712-16.pdf

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
 :-x
I did Google "nanetti varroa" until I found something in English that I could read. Very interesting and read worthy. My colony is new and no problems so far. Thanks for the tip Finski but why do you always seem to come across like everyone else is stupid and doing things wrong and you are the only one who knows how to do it right? Is it just me?

he is fool who debate with one hive owner.  yes, I know much facts about beekeeping.
There are plenty of all kind of fools among beekeepers. Very few want to dig from google facts. It limits imagination...

.should I encourage to do fools things with bees, just to get social acceptance?

Offline beekuk

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »
Nosema apis does clear up in late spring and is not much of a problem ,but nosema ceranae does not clear up..it persists all through the summer,keeping the colony weak and unproductive,with very few foragers in a severely infected hive.