Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any ideas for an alaskan trip?  (Read 13574 times)

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Any ideas for an alaskan trip?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:27 am »
Gunner; are you retired military by any chance?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:35 am »
I forgot to mention that there is no better eating fish on earth than halibut

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:37:10 am »
As an adventurous college student I spent a summer on the Kenai peninsula canning salmon decades ago (won't say how many  :shock:).  Try and tour a salmon cannery, but the run may be over by late August.  I flew back to the states on August 5th and it snowed the day after I left, but global warming wasn't even a pipe dream back then so you may not get snowed on.

Homer has lots of eagles to photograph.  The neatest thing to do is to get someone to take you up in a little bush plane and fly low over the glaciers and mountains and see the bear and wildlife from higher up.  You look out over miles and miles of forrest and realize no human being has probably ever set foot on the places you are seeing.

Linda D

And, and be sure to try leaving a bar at 2 a.m. and enjoy the sun shining bright.  It is a hoot when it is daylight nearly 24/7.
linda d

Offline gunner7888

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 11:24:35 am »
  fish_stix: No I'm not ex-military, I got this nic as a youngster when I started my first hobby, capgun collecting. My pride and joy being "The Rifleman" rifle  LOL Might be time to start selling them off. I will look into the Sport Shed tackle shop. I do my vacations on the cheap, just need a clean bed. A Taj Mahal place for me, means a private bathroom!! I camp sometimes, but don't think I want to risk the weather in alaska, and with airline baggage wt. restrictions, tough to do.
  Idaxon: I was sort of thinking of taking a flight over Denali Nat. Park, have heard that is a must, so not sure I could do one in the Homer area, gawd so much to do, so little time (and even less money) I was wondering about amount of daylight, since getting great photos is all about the sunrise and sunset and low angle light. I am hoping that actually, since I believe the sun stays low in the sky during the daytime, almost anytime will give chance for that "keeper" photo. I do need a good photo of an eagle, got one in Yellowstone and in Glacier Nat. Park, but both farrrrr away.
  I really appreciate everyones thoughts and comments, keep-em coming.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 11:46:56 pm »
You're only going to have about 2-3 hours of dark depending on when you go. We arrived in Anchorage around May 27 at about 9 PM in bright sunlight and it finally got dark about 2 AM. Eagles are plentiful in Homer! I have photos of one perched on our TV antenna about 8' over my head. They literally flocked to the fish cleaning station across the road from Sports Shed at the RV park, including dumpster diving for fish parts. They roost on top of all the street lights along Homer Spit; you can look down the 5 mile line of poles and see dozens and dozens of them. No problem getting closeups.

anything