Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: my version of Colorado beevac.  (Read 4736 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
my version of Colorado beevac.
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:07:54 pm »
My bushkill vac worn out so I made a new one.
What do you think?
John

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: my version of Colorado beevac.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:43:31 pm »
I really like the slider for the vac hole/ entrance. I'm stealing that one.

Offline gilligan

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:41:41 pm »
Why not just get a standard blast gate like the og one?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:08:53 pm »
Why not just get a standard blast gate like the og one?
Personally I used what I had on hand. I used my same hoses. The metal was some thin sheet metal. I cut the groove with a cordless saw blade to get it thin enough. Had to add the brace in center to keep the metal straight. It has worked great on three cutouts with very little kills. Once I got the vent set.

John

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 10:31:50 pm »
Looks like it will work just fine. What did you do on the opposite side of the entrance to soften the landing. I have a piece of metal rolled to so that instead of slamming into wall they slide up 90 degrees. You can also place a piece of foam to absorb the impact instead of hitting the wall.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 09:07:24 am »
I have found that the design was well thought out. On the ibdera side of the vac there is pegboard this defuses the suction. That alone reduces any impact from going thru Pike into the box. Really really low losses once you learn the swting of the airflow rate.

John

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:01:08 am »
Looks good. I use a sheet of plexiglas on top so I can watch them come in. It helps get the vac setting right quicker.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 03:11:30 pm »
Looks good. I use a sheet of plexiglas on top so I can watch them come in. It helps get the vac setting right quicker.

With the pegboard under vac head plexiglass would be hard to see thru. Unless I drilled all the holes by hand.

John

Offline Johnny

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:22:35 pm »
Does a curved surface for the bees to slide against help slow them down so they  are not injured or does
tumbling against it cause more damage to the bees?
It looks to me the curved surface would be better.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:53 am »
With this style when you get the suction adjusted right .by the time the bees get to the box with the; pegboard the air is diffused enough that they don't hit the back of box. The trick is getting the sucton right . once you have it set you can leave it there for all the removals.

John

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 03:27:41 am »

With the pegboard under vac head plexiglass would be hard to see thru. Unless I drilled all the holes by hand.

John

Plexiglass could be used as the bottom slider and viewed from the bottom if set on something? This would really be neat seeing the bees coming in.

.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:52:48 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 04:44:29 am »
Does a curved surface for the bees to slide against help slow them down so they  are not injured or does
tumbling against it cause more damage to the bees?
It looks to me the curved surface would be better.

With this style when you get the suction adjusted right .by the time the bees get to the box with the; pegboard the air is diffused enough that they don't hit the back of box. The trick is getting the sucton right . once you have it set you can leave it there for all the removals.

John

This is my finding as well noting they come in for a soft easy landing. I do not know how you built your set up with peg board but I built mine with the peg board across the entire top under the vacuum part which evenly distributes suction across the entire length and width of the box. Unlike all other vacs that I have seen; some very good ones I might add.

I especially like the idea of the catch box being a regular bee box with screen on the entire top and slide out bottom. With this set up the bees have plenty access to fresh air on the ride home when vac top is removed, the entire top is open to fresh air through the top screen. I used regular aluminum window screen. Even on the hottest days there is no worry of the bees overheating on the ride home.

With the slide out bottom, this catch box can be set up on top of the cut out comb box and simply slide out the slider bottom so bees can enter the new (brood and comb area) which we have rubber banded into frames. (once we have this "new" hive in its new location). I also recommend placing a regular top on top of the catch box so no light is above the catch box and screen area so bees will more readily move down to the comb box. (I learned this by watching JP and Schawee), lol

Adding, I see you put a support bar just above the slide in bottom. I did not do this. My catch box is wide open with nothing inside but wide open space. My slider bottom might have been thicker than yours. I used the side of a washing machine housing to cut out and make my bottom slider. :shocked: :cheesy: rigid and works great!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 12:02:53 pm »
Adding I can not say my vac is a version of the colorado vac but a home built Colorado (type) vac, as I used the peg board across the entire top as colorado did in their well made vac and video. As far as I know they are the only vac company that does this?

anything