Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB in the upper midwest  (Read 1532 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
SHB in the upper midwest
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:15 am »
I have alway found a few beetles in colonies and swarm traps but this year the numbers are way up.  I'm hopeing it has to do with us not having a winter last year and getting back to normal will change it back.   They are not causing me any problems yet and I'm hoping they stay that way   

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: SHB in the upper midwest
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:24 am »
Hope you are correct in you thinking. Once you experience an attack (slime) you will never forget it.

Good Luck,

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:19:20 pm »
Yep, once you look in your hive and there are SHB larva in the comb, most all of the bees in that hive leave you will never forget it.  Happened to the first hive I had.  A fellow gave me the hive and 3 or 4 days latter thats what I had.  When the supers are not on I have  Fipronil  in dvd cases in hives, very few SHBs 0 to 4 per hive.   Good luck with yours

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »
Just remember like with any other poison you place in the hive, Fipronil is not a quick kill, so the beetles are tracking that stuff all over your hive. 

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:32:17 am »
Quote from: danno
I'm hoping it has to do with us not having a winter last year and getting back to normal will change it back.
SHB numbers are definitely up this year. More club members seeing them than in the past. Hoping we get a few very fridgid "deep freeze" weeks of winter this year.

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:31:40 am »
any US sources of BT?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »
I haven’t seen any SHB here yet, but I don’t buy any packages, or bees, for that matter. 

I hope we get back to a more normal weather pattern up here or else all those nasty bugs and critters from down south are likely to move into our little paradise  :(

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
Last time I bought packages it was  2007

anything