Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To requeen or not to requeen  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
To requeen or not to requeen
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »
Hey y'all, I bought three established hives last spring. The guy I bought them from said the bees are are a mix of different bees (he did not specify any species). I need to make a split on one of the hives but, I don't know what kind of queen to buy. Should I try to let them requeen themselves or buy a new queen. This is my first year for beekeeping so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: To requeen or not to requeen
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »
what does your weather do going into fall?  what are your winters like?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:38:50 pm »
I am right on the Gulf coast in Beaumont, Texas (around Houston). Winters are very mild (drops below freezing maybe twice over the whole winter). Starts to get cold a little before Thanksgiving.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 02:52:29 pm »
as much as i hate to buy queens, that's probably the way to go at this time of the year.  you want to give your split a chance to build up a bit before the weather changes.  they need younger bees to make it through.  if you allow them to requeen themselves, you won't have new brood for weeks.  i'd also be sure to give your split brood in all stages.   maybe skip the eggs, but go for the larvae that's a few days older and some capped brood.  you'll probably want to feed them also unless you can give them some frames of honey.  even then, you'll have to watch that they don't use it and have enough left for winter.

+ you are probably in an AHB area?  buying queens might be safer for you and will give you some new genetics in your yard for next year.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kevin Goats

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 02:57:31 pm »
What species of queen bee should I buy? Also any suggestions on where to get them?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:17:20 pm by Kevin Goats »