Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: few beekeepers under 50  (Read 32846 times)

Offline beesbeesbees

• New Bee
Re: few beekeepers under 50
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2008, 01:17:04 pm »
31 (Bicentennial baby)

The wife (beekeeper) is a bit younger.  My sister (also a beekeeper) is a bit older.  Kids (all under 7) show interest.

Tried for years to get rolling on beekeeping.  You need transportation, storage space, property (owned, borrowed or rented) and a tolerance for the seasonally sticky kitchen.  Couldn't put the combination together until we had been married for 10 years.  This certainly wouldn't have been tolerated by my parents even if I could have hauled a full super home on my bicycle.  Looking back though I think I could have pulled this off in college.  I had keys to the biology labs and I'm sure I could have worked out a deal.

Spent my younger years finding new and creative ways to be stung by everything possible in Illinois.  Now I build high-rise, luxury condos for my own stinging beasts.  The more things change....

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2008, 03:18:11 pm »
Fall River is cool, industrial....   I live about 45 minutes from there, by the cape!  I didn't see the other post, I'm still getting used to navigating this crazy forum, I forget where I've been....

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2008, 05:52:57 pm »
Fall River is cool, industrial....   I live about 45 minutes from there, by the cape!  I didn't see the other post, I'm still getting used to navigating this crazy forum, I forget where I've been....

Hellbent, when you come in, if you want to, you can go right to the top of the page, top left and visit new replies to your posts and new posts since last visit. This feature is cool. it'll tell you what you need to know.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2008, 06:21:37 pm »
So much easier. Thanks!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »
This forum, pretty much, is the only one I go to. After awhile its just second nature how to navigate thru it.
 Theres another good forum at the "Beesource" website with lots of information too. I like it, and i guess that if I spent more time in there I would figure it out too.
 As you've already found out, There are people here who will help you with alot of things, not just bees.
I've gotten info on plants.I've learned about ducks. Theres somebody here who races pigeons who I appreciate because my dad and i raced pigeons years ago.(Most people dont have a clue about what pigeons capabilities are) Lots of people helped me stay out of jail when I filed my taxes in "Russian"! :roll: I got information on Honey and cinnamon concoctions recently. I also learned to make propolis tincture with rum instead of rubbing alcohol,(That was funny, eh' guys?) :-D
 Anyways, somebody will lead you thru here when you need help!

Hmmm,...I think I spend WAY TOO MUCH time here...Ive got alot of vacation time recently and it seems I keep walking in here to read and write stuff.

Ok,...thats all...Have a BLAST!!!

your friend,
john

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2008, 08:12:02 pm »
I've been looking at the forum whilst is have a few free minutes at work, it's been really educational and fun. Pidgions have a bad rap but they're really incredable birds...  doves accually!   Honey and cinnimon yum!!  Really honey and just about anything as far as I'm concerned!  I like to mix it with a little irish wiskey! ;)  I can't hardly wait to taste honey from bees at my house who got their goods from my gardens! Crafty Bastards that they are ... bees rule!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2008, 04:35:35 am »
Started July 2005 at forty-six.  My brother is looking at maybe starting.  My youngsters help and right now say they want to have their own hives when they get their own place and a couple twenty somethings want me to help them get started.  I wanted to be a beek since the mid sixties.  So I started a little behind schedule.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2008, 11:41:36 pm »
As for the younger crowd, I a three year old and a four year old, both of them want a bee suit and both of them like to sit near the hive entrances with me and talk about the bees.

I have 2 the same age that have the same interest, my daughter (3) likes to poke
grass in the hive and fish for the bees, my son drives everyone nuts talking about
the honey bees, my mom is going to make some bee suits for them so they can
work it like daddy

just a few little hobbies allow you to spend a great deal of time with the kids, nothing
pleases me more than to know they're taking an interest in learning all they can