Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wind break  (Read 1783 times)

Offline imcamod36

• New Bee
Wind break
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:27:28 am »
Just got started beekeeping this year.  We are keeping our hives in a field behind our house.  For this year, we have a temporary wind break to protect our hive from the winter wind.  As we expand, we would like to plant shrubs or trees for the wind break.  What tree/shrub would work best and is bee friendly?  We live in zone 4.  Thanks!

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: Wind break
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 11:12:14 am »

I have planted rows of pines in some places. In others, the fence rows where I have outyards supply the wind break.. and up here by the house I usually stack big round bales in a row to make a wind break.
   When your setting up a wind break, remember, that the SNOW will pile up behind it..  About three feet behind a double row tall of big round bales I will have a 12 foot snowdrift. If you dont mind your hives being buried (and insulated) this is not a problem... but if for some reason you need to get TO those hives... to check for reserves for example, it can be a problem.
   If your "normal" winter winds are not 20 to 50mph like they are here, it may also not be a problem.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 11:23:37 am »
If you have SHB in your area, you won't want a natural windbreak that will shade the hives in the summer. SHB love shady hives.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 06:41:51 pm »
Anything that flowers and produces nectar would be good.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cricket

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:43:10 pm »
I'm not sure how far north privit hedge will grow but it's a big boom in zone 7 in early spring. Grows thick and is a good low wind block.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline imcamod36

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:59:38 am »
Thanks for the info!  Definitely don't want any SHB problems!!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:40:12 pm »
I typically make a small windbreak from square hay bales. Easy to build and easy to remove in the summer...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

anything