Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Converting Warre boxes  (Read 758 times)

Offline little john

• Field Bee
Converting Warre boxes
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
Just a quick update to:
http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=49351.0

My thanks to Bush_84 for starting that thread.

These are a few of my unloved and unwanted Warre-style boxes which were collecting dust:

Some of which have now been turned into these boxes (still to be finished of course), with the redundant 'D' hand-holds betraying their previous existence:

A shot of the thicker sidewall which will be used on the other boxes:

And with the frames in place:

So - nothing special - just some chunky 8-frame boxes - but the making of which has very nicely resolved the problem of what to do with those unwanted Warre boxes ...

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.site90.com

Offline gww

• House Bee
Re: Converting Warre boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
Lj
Thats funny.  I just built a warre hive and may or may not put bees in it some day.

It is finnished now.
Cheers
gww

Offline little john

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Well, if you've built it, then - sure - why not give it a try ?

In my view, for the back-garden beekeeper with just a couple of hives to be run in a 'minimum expenditure' and 'minimal-interference mode', the standard Warre Beehive can provide an ideal solution.  And the bees adore living within that narrow 'chimney' space.

The problem - for me -  was when trying to fit these hives into an existing (100% framed) working apiary, as the combs are totally non-interchangable between hives. 

Your stack of Warre boxes reminds me of mine when I first built them ...  :smile:

'best, LJ

Offline gww

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:13:48 PM »
Lj
I only have bees in langs right now.  I like them.  I just built it to see if it was any easier to make.  It was still hard.  I have two long langs built that don't have bees in them also.  I have the warre and the long hives sitting out and will put a little lemongrass oil in each and if the bees move in, I will see what happens.  I have swarm traps out and will probly keep filling more lang hives but I am a hobbiest and haven't been treating as of yet and so if I put some in and see how long they last with me only adding and taking away space, I won't really be losing much.  I haven't been keeping bees long enough to know how hard I want to pursue it as far as trying to become more professional about it.  I am still building langs during winter and should have about 10/12 hives six or seven mediums high but only have bees for 3 if they don't die over winter.  I am such a terrible builder even when going slow.  I was making 3 bottom boards today and had them about 3/4 the way done when I realized I had had a brain fart and my measurement was short by an inch.  I had thought it all out before starting and then still measured an inch short.

It is a good thing I am just playing and don't have to count on it being correct to make a living from.

I just keep building and will see what happens later.  It is kinda fun learning as I go and time will tell about commitment level.
I like your threads cause you always post pictures. 
Cheers
gww

Offline little john

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »
I am still building langs during winter and should have about 10/12 hives six or seven mediums high but only have bees for 3 if they don't die over winter.  I am such a terrible builder even when going slow.  I was making 3 bottom boards today and had them about 3/4 the way done when I realized I had had a brain fart and my measurement was short by an inch.  I had thought it all out before starting and then still measured an inch short.

What you wrote here before Christmas resonated with me - 'cause I've been there too, and got myself quite a few T-shirts in the 'cutting wood an inch short' department.

I've spent a few hours over the festive period putting together a website - it's a bit thin on content right now, so I'm not advertising it widely just yet.  There's a page on workshop tips and tricks which may be of interest - but if you've already got a dozen hives, half-a-dozen boxes high, maybe not ...

All the best for 2017 ...
LJ
http://heretics-guide.site90.com/

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
I like your site LJ. I will check in from time to time.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline gww

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »
LJ
I did check out your site.  I liked the tips but mostly for now don't mass produce because I am afraid I will get done.  I shouldn't keep building as I am not really seeing any way that I am going to get them full anytime soon.  I like to be prepared just incase.  I do sorta collect ideals incase I ever really do decide to get serious and try and do things efficiantly.  Right now I am just having an excuse to hang out in the garage and do something that I can pretend is a little productive and trying to see how and what I really like.  I do like what I am doing with your repurposed pallet to make stands.  My stands may not be like you did yours but I think I am going to like the single stands better then 5 hive on one like I have them now. 

I did skin over the whole site not just the tips part.  I will check back at some point in time. 
Cheers
gww